Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: file edit permissions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    somewhere, west of wonder
    Beans
    68
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    file edit permissions

    while trying to edit a ".conf" file using "Text Editor", i get this error when i try to save (You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.).

    i believe that i have the file location correct because when i try to save, i overwrite the file that i was editing.

    i am the admin and only user of my comp so i see no reason as to why i don't have the necessary permissions to edit the file.

    am i doing something wrong?

    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    insanity: because its more fun the 9001st time.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Beans
    6,697
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: file edit permissions

    Hi majorburt.

    In order to actually gain admin privileges, you have to use either sudo, or gksudo.

    For example, let's say you want to edit the file /etc/resolv.conf

    There 2 options:

    1. You can either open a terminal and run:
      Code:
      sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
      your password will be asked on the terminal as security measure.

    2. Or, Press Alt+F2 and run:
      Code:
      gksudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
      same procedure except your password will be ask using a GUI tool.

    For more information on sudo, and on how the security works, I'd recommend taking a look at this tutorial.

    Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    somewhere, west of wonder
    Beans
    68
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: file edit permissions

    Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi majorburt.

    In order to actually gain admin privileges, you have to use either sudo, or gksudo.

    For example, let's say you want to edit the file /etc/resolv.conf

    There 2 options:

    1. You can either open a terminal and run:
      Code:
      sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
      your password will be asked on the terminal as security measure.

    2. Or, Press Alt+F2 and run:
      Code:
      gksudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
      same procedure except your password will be ask using a GUI tool.

    For more information on sudo, and on how the security works, I'd recommend taking a look at this tutorial.

    Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.
    you rock!!! i really need to remember some of these codes.
    insanity: because its more fun the 9001st time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: file edit permissions

    Quote Originally Posted by majorburt View Post
    you rock!!! i really need to remember some of these codes.
    Strictly speaking, you should always use gksu or gksudo when using an application which has a GUI from gnome or other gtk DE (xfce, lxde) and never just sudo. You will be OK with gedit using sudo but in some cases you could lock yourself out of the OS by corrupting the whole Root/sudo system.

    See RootSudo in my signature for more info.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    somewhere, west of wonder
    Beans
    68
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: file edit permissions

    Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Strictly speaking, you should always use gksu or gksudo when using an application which has a GUI from gnome or other gtk DE (xfce, lxde) and never just sudo. You will be OK with gedit using sudo but in some cases you could lock yourself out of the OS by corrupting the whole Root/sudo system.

    See RootSudo in my signature for more info.
    that's good to know.
    does that apply to the terminal or the GUI command prompt (alt-F2)?
    insanity: because its more fun the 9001st time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •