Thread: Ubuntu forums looks weird...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu forums looks weird...

...in Google Chrome on Windows 7? Does anyone else get this?

All the fonts look odd and it looks really.... bitty.

It works fine in IE on the same machine and works fine in Chrome and Safari on my Mac.

An aside - just found the "windows (ugh)" tag. Love that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu forums looks weird...

Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

This is known about. Yes, the font rendering for this forum in Chrome in Windows is dreadful. I did some investigating myself and can confirm this. If it's any consolation, it's a little better in Chrome in Windows 8, if I remember correctly.

One problem is that Technoviking had to do some creative coding to get the Ubuntu branding working well enough in the version of Vbulletin that we are running. For some reason the embedded font isn't playing well with the Windows version of Chrome. I believe things may be better when the long-awaited upgrade happens so, realistically, nothing will be done until after the upgrade. If Windows/Chrome font rendering is still bad after the upgrade, that is something I will try to ensure gets looked at.

In the meantime, I can only suggest you use Firefox or IE when using Windows. Ubuntuforums font rendering in Windows/Firefox is acceptable although the bold font still looks a bit gritty to my eye. This can be improved by installing the Ubuntu font family locally, which you can download from here:

http://font.ubuntu.com/

You could see if installing the Ubuntu font locally helps with Chrome, but as far as I can remember the improvement was minimal.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.