Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standalone database system

Beans

Standalone database system

I'm looking for a way to create a standalone personal database that I can easily send to people without having to reside on a server or anything, like MS Access or OpenOffice Base.

The default choice seems to be Access, even though I would need to use Windows (or WINE). In my project it would be inappropriate to expect people to download OpenOffice just to view my database.

Are there any other choices, or am I stuck with Access?
    Talk to me on Jabber: joeljkp @ jabber.org

Beans

Re: Standalone database system

You should be able to do this with sqlite. Not sure how you get others to install the sqlite engine though. It might be possible to embed it in an application.

Keith

Beans

SQLITE is very nice, I am using it too you should try it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'm having problems finding a similar solution, I think the OP wants a database that carries its own files with it and doesn't necessarily require any installation on the part of the user.
    Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.
    Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

Registered Linux User #423840 | Registered Ubuntu User #4799

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by joeljkp View Post
    I'm looking for a way to create a standalone personal database that I can easily send to people without having to reside on a server or anything, like MS Access or OpenOffice Base.
    Not sure what you mean. SQLite is *simpler* than Access: smaller footprint, simpler management (it's a single-user database after all). Of course it needs to be installed on every computer which will use it, but it is no different from Access.

The default choice seems to be Access, even though I would need to use Windows (or WINE). In my project it would be inappropriate to expect people to download OpenOffice just to view my database.
    But if your "people" don't have MS Office, how they will use your database? You don't care about Linux users?

Beans

Thanks for the feedback. The underlying assumption (which happens to be valid) is that everyone I'm working with already has Office installed.

SQLite is interesting... but to distribute it so that others can use it, I would need to code it up, embed the db, and create a whole GUI, etc. for it, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can use SQLite and distribute your DB with any of these tools: http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=ManagementTools

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by joeljkp View Post
    The underlying assumption (which happens to be valid) is that everyone I'm working with already has Office installed.
    then why you need wine? *You* want to develop on Linux, and your users will use it on Windows?

> SQLite is interesting... but to distribute it so that others can use it, I would need to code it up, embed the db,

SQLite is separate install (is not "embedded" in your database -- db is just data. But installing SQLite can be part of your app install package.

> and create a whole GUI, etc. for it, right?

Yes. If you want GUI frontend, someone need to create it.

If you want to develop under Linux, and your users run Windows, you have two options:
    - switch to windows like your users and develop in Access/VB or whatever -- including new IronPython for .NET
    - use cross-platform solution, like wx for GUI and SQLite for database, or whatever Mono world provides. Python is also decent cross-platform language, with wxPython and pySQLite.

Depends what skills you have now, and what you want to learn from this project.

Beans

I'm beginning to think there's a missing niche here: a user-friendly database access program generator, similar to OOo Base or MS Access, but that would allow you to generate a standalone .exe containing all your pretty forms and reporting tools, etc. Such a thing would let you design db interfaces without having to learn GUI programming, but would let you simply bundle an executable with your database instead of requiring that everyone has a certain package already installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

like Base or kexi?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast