Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External USB HDD NTFS messed up

Beans

Re: External USB HDD NTFS messed up

May have found the problem and possible solution;
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1082215
    Now i just need to figure out how to remove such patch...

Beans

Ok tried rebuilding the driver from sources, but no go.. Something wrong with my setup, as the created .ko file differs about 10% of the original size. And not surprising, it does not work.
    Is there a quide for dummies available how to build and install a driver module from sources?

Beans

Finally got it to work by recompiling the whole kernel after fixing the problematic header file in the sources.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This is a serious problem. Shipping an OS that without warning currupts an HD - even if it is USB-attached - is not a good thing to do.
    Ubuntu 12.04.1 + super top M6116 SATA bridge trashed all the data on my old HD, but I do have a backup. Ubuntu trashed the drive every time - without fail.
    Details:
    I have 2 test systems: a desktop AMD 64 bit machine running windows7 and a Laptop AND64-bit triple-boot machine runing Ubuntu 12.04.1/Windows7/WinXP.
    The HD is the old WD 350Gig HD from the laptop, which now has a new 500G HD internally.
    The 350Gig had has 3 partitions, each around 100G. I don't think this is a partition size problem.
    Format - ONLY NTFS is commonly supported betweem Windows7 and Ubuntu. Originally the HD was ext3, which Windows7 does not understand, but Ubuntu mounted it ok, and within a few minutes corrupted it - during read only operations!
    Sincce then all tests have been with NTFS format.
    The super top M6116 SATA bridge works FINE every time on the Deskop Win7 system and on the Laptop using Win7. It FAILS every time using Ubuntu on the Laptop.
    So - its not a problem in the super top M6116 SATA bridge (unless the M6116 chip has a bug that Windows drivers are compensating for.)
    The problem is not in the Computer hardware or BIOS as Laptop+Win7 works, Laptop+Ubuntu fails.
    Peltsi's post about rebuilding the driver is very interesting, but I am a bit loth to try rebuilding kernel things - I need the laptop for work.
    Is this serious problem being looked at by Canonical gurus?

Beans

Hi,

At least the bug has been reported and status is "triaged", so I think they're looking into it. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1082215

M6116 is a very common adapter, there must be a really big bunch of people wondering why their external hdd broke with linux.. And like this thread proves many times others will just blaim the "crappy" adapter, which for some weird reason works perfect in windows.

I also use this laptop for work, installing / uninstallin new kernels imo is quite safe, so if you really need the hdd go for it. Before official fix it's the best option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@ Fremont et al..

Why do you feel that Ubuntu (& linux) are responsible.
    Your choice to use FOSS OS & kernel.
    There is no guarantee of any h/w support.
    It is your responsibility to check h/w compatibility.
    You have no right to complain, but you are free to report problems & fix them.

You must take responsibility for being willing to commit your important data to some cheap clone brand adapter.

If you choose to reward Seagate there would be no issue.

If there is blame then it should lie with M6116 silicon or its firmware designer.
    You can bet that the designers of M6116 adapter worked with Microsoft to patch windows & get thru' MS certification testlab.
    Did they contact linux kernel devs?..

Beans

There is absolutely nothing wrong in the M6116 chip or it's firmware. The linux USB storage driver just has a fatal bug, that's all. See the launchpad bug report for yourself. if you fail to believe me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12