Thread: Re-installation problem

Beans

Re-installation problem

My 12.04 install has become slow and balky. I have downloaded the latest 12.04.2 ISO file to reinstall, but I can't get md5sum to check it. When I follow the instructions in "How to md5sum" I get nothing but error messages.

Can someone give me a (preferably graphical) method to verify the ISO file? I''m no good at typing long entries into the command line, so a click by click would be good. Thank you.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Re-installation problem

Hmm -- the only way I know how to check is through command line where you type:
    md5sum <name of iso image>

If the iso image is so corrupted, possibly you'll get an error, however I've never exactly seen this.

Beans

I tried that, got the msg. no such file or directory. When I do whereis ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-i386.iso, I just get the file name back.

When I downloaded, I saw no option to send the download to a folder or directory, it just went into downloads. If there is such an option which I missed, I'll remove that download and try again.

Thanks for your response.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please post the exact command you tried.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

May I suggest that you burn the ISO image to DVD/USB and run it. If it works, then it works! I have never checked the md5sum and I have tested many ISO images of the development release. I have had failures due to bugs in the Live session and in the Installer but never due to a bad download.

OH, by the way, when you ran that command to get the ms5sum of the ISO image were you in the Downloads directory? Did you cd Downloads?

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 23rd, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Morgaes; Sorry, don't have the keyboard characters handy to properly spell your name.

the command I used was ubuntu@ubuntu-desktop:~$ cd Downloads. also tried md5sum ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop:~$ cd Downloads.

I just stick with plain old Ubuntu, too many varieties of things are confusing to me, I'm easily confused anyway. Mostly I just use it and don't tinker with it unless necessary. I'm not really comfortable with using the command line.

grahammechanical;

cd downloads is on the end of both the commands listed above. Should I do cd downloads as a separate command before going to md5sum? In one of my previous installs, I had to make 3 CD's to get one that would work, I did md5sum on one which worked.

Thank you both

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The command should be
    Code:
    md5sum ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop.iso
    or something like that.

If you stand in the download directory, write for example
    Code:
    md5sum ubuntu-12
    and push the TAB key then the rest of the word appears automagically (provided you don't have files with a similar name in the directory).
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thanks, I like that automagic stuff, especially when it does what I want it to do. I'll give it a try a bit later.

I'll try the install when I get an up to date backup done, whether I get the file image verified or not.

Jim
    Last edited by J Harp; April 23rd, 2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: punctuation