Thread: Set up an internal mail server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Set up an internal mail server

My home network is like this:

5-6 devices (wirelessly) -----> Router ---> ISP Modem ---> Internet
    File server-Ubuntu 12.04 (wired)--^

All devices are part of the same workgroup. I'm interested in learning more about networking and I would like to set up an internal mail server that allows all devices to send emails to each other.

I've found some good tutorials on the web but most are too advanced for my needs. I don't need to receive email from outside, just internally... for starters. I found this one tutorial which seems fit for my needs but its 5 years old. Also I'm a little confused about domains. In order to use email internally, do I need to register a domain? And it seems I'd have to set up a DNS server (probably on the file server)...won't that screw up the internet access to the network if I set up my own DNS server?

I'm just experimenting since these things interest me, so if you can be patient and explain...please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Set up an internal mail server

Email is strongly tied to DNS and the Internet, a strictly internal mail server is possible but far from trivial. (Email itself is far from trivial to begin with, even for a "standard" mail sever, I suggest you find something else to experiment with like HTTP/FTP.)
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

I would have a read of that article you cited again, if I were you.

Actually, I think the postfix installer in Ubuntu server has an option to select local only (open to correction on that as it has been a while).

Would nervously disagree with Bachstelze (that's an awful lot of posts you have racked up) about the internal only mail server for your domain-only mail, but certainly take the point on a practical level (i.e. you should focus on setting up a fully functional "standard" mail server only once you are more comfortable with the concepts).

Also, as Bachstelze mentioned, look at setting up a web server first, as you should have a better understanding of other related concepts (such as networking, DNS) before you tackle the mail server project.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for your responses. I've already fiddled with an setting up an FTP server (vsftp). That was pretty easy. I haven't set up a web server yet. I'll look into that.
    Last edited by sbjaved; November 17th, 2012 at 04:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

After some reading i've gathered that I can set up an internal domain and DNS server with the ability to forward internet requests to ISP's DNS servers. That was what I wanted to know. If i'm able to set up the DNS server properly, I think I'll try setting up a mail server as well.

I'm going to install ubuntu 12.04 server on spare old desktop and experiment with BIND on it, so that my current network setup (and file server) isn't disturbed if I make a mistake. Any and all pointers are welcome.

Beans

You do not even need a domain as I recall if all you want to do is deliver mail to local users. You'd just need Postfix and Dovecot, though you'll need to change the Postfix configuration to allow mail to be sent to the Ethernet interface. But you should be able to address mail to a local user name without a domain and have it delivered to that person's mailbox.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I found a tutorial about setting up an internal only mail server (I linked it in my first post) and that required setting up a domain. If you can link to any tutorials or posts for an internal only mail server w/o setting up a domain, that would be great because all the guides I found were using domains and were for full blown mail servers.
    Last edited by sbjaved; November 17th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Sensei can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are looking at the domain thing the wrong way. For an email to be delivered it will have to have a domain, but it doesn't have to be a public (real) one. Also, your local machines will have to have their first DNS choice set up to be your server, not a public DNS.

And your server will also have to have DNS service running, so that it keeps all emails sent to your local domain.

Always sit down to think and follow to flow of information:
    1. A machine in your network will send an email to user@mydomain.local
    2. Your machines will have your server as DNS server, and will ask him where is mydomain.local. The reply will be your local server IP and the message will be sent there.
    3. The mailserver running on your server will be configured to accept mydomain.local and will accept the message and deliver it to the user mailbox.
    4. For all other DNS queries of your machines, your server will just forward them to the public servers you specify, and the local machines will get their reply.

That should be the line of thought in my opinion. The domain doesn't need to be public or registered if your only need is to work locally.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I know that it's for Debian but for a good basic understanding of mail servers you should at least read through this guide:
    http://workaround.org/ispmail/squeeze

Even if you don't follow it then reading it will give you a good background in how all the various pieces of a mail server fit together.
    Cheesemill

Beans

You do not need to go near DNS for your requirements.

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...iguration.html

If you have read and understood this, you should be able to get this set-up working (again, based on your requirements).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast