Thread: Failure to launch Ubuntu Software Center

Beans

Failure to launch Ubuntu Software Center

Hi, I'm new to Ubuntu and encountered a problem I could use some help with.
    I've tried installing the R statistics package using the Ubuntu Software Center, however when I try to launch it, I get an error message telling me that the application has closed unexpectedly.
    When I click details it states the problem is the ' ExecutablePath' and 'could not determine the package or source package name.'

I've since managed to install R through:
    sudo apt-get install
    r-base

But I'd like the Software Center to run as well, as I'm still looking for a way to obtain the Rcmdr (GUI).

I have a feeling I'm lacking some depencies, but I don't know how to find out which ones (if so). Either that or there may be something wrong with my specific Ubuntu build, as it'd be fair to say that I wasn't too sure of what I was doing (though I was flying on default as far as possible). Thanks in advance for any help!

Karel

Last edited by Karelvand; November 16th, 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Failure to launch Ubuntu Software Center

First, Welcome to Ubuntu and the forums!

Installing with the Software Center or apt-get from the command prompt should give you the same result. Dependency handling is the same under-the-hood. I'm not sure why you had trouble when you installed through SC. Perhaps a verbatim quote of the error message would be helpful.

The package name of the GUI you're looking for is r-cran-rcmdr, so you could install it thus:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install r-cran-rcmdr
    Again, you should be able to install it through SC and get the exact same result.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Failure to launch Ubuntu Software Center

You may find it better to use Synaptic Package Manager

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...Search&lang=en

sudo apt-get install synaptic