Thread: 12.04 Some windows disappears in middle of second screen

Beans

12.04 Some windows disappears in middle of second screen

Hi.

For couple of months I am using Xubuntu 12.04 with multi-monitor configuration on one of my machines. I had experienced this issue since the beginning, but every week I found it more and more annoying.

The problem is, that on second screen (in my case the one on the right, but I checked different configurations) some windows disappears somewhere around middle of second screen. These windows are eg. terminals (all I checked - XTerm, gnome-temrinal and default xfce4-terminal), Notes app, Cairo-Dock. Apps that works (fortunately there is more of them) are all browsers, XChat, Skype, Calc, VirtualBox, Thunderbird or Ristretto (just the examples).

Do you have any ideas what is wrong and how to fix/workaround this problem? I can't find any solution or even similar problem on internet. I don't have too much experience with multi display configurations so I don't know if it is common issue or not.

I am using stock kernel 3.2.0 (now -33) and open source Radeon driver with Radeon X1250 integrated graphics card.
    Code:
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
    Attached Images Attached Images

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 Some windows disappears in middle of second screen

Okay, so Qt 4 and GTK 3 works while GTK 2 doesn't. Interesting.

Have you tried fglrx? The open source driver isn't quite as nice in my experience.

Beans

I am afraid that it is not possible to use fglrx with 12.04 and this - quite old - graphics.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Okay, might give this a shot, then:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx

Beans

The problem is that legacy driver is designed for Xorg up to version 7.4 while in 12.04 is 7.7. It is not available in precise repo also. I will check it on Monday but I am pretty sure it won't work.

Beans

Yesterday I found out that there are also compositor effects missing after this "magical" line on second screen (as shown on attached image).

I checked ATI proprietary driver but it seems to be incompatible with Xorg, kernel 3.2 and probably other packages in 12.04.
    Attached Images Attached Images