Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAID drives suddenly become spare drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: RAID drives suddenly become spare drives

Quote Originally Posted by _dolittle_ View Post
    @rubylaser: Thanks for the information. I'll report back as soon as I'm finished. It may take some hours since I try to salvage everthing readable from the raid.

Some of you seen to have ideas for improvement of my raid setup I'd be happy if you'd share them with me. It would be a perfect time to execute them.

Thanks for your help
    I would love to know what you use your array for (i.e. pictures, videos, documents, backups, VM storage, etc.) This would make recommending a RAID setup much easier.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by _dolittle_ View Post
    Some of you seen to have ideas for improvement of my raid setup I'd be happy if you'd share them with me. It would be a perfect time to execute them.

Thanks for your help
    I would need to know what you intent to use the array for, but off the top of my head, I would suggest going with RAID 6 because you have so many drives - but that is only from a data storage standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by rubylaser View Post
    I would love to know what you use your array for (i.e. pictures, videos, documents, backups, VM storage, etc.) This would make recommending a RAID setup much easier.
    Agreed. I use my array (RAID5) for backups, file storage, VM storage.. and all that, but RAID isn't a "one size fits all" type of thing.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Thanks to you my situation seems to improve.

Current situation: All drives are up and running

Raid assembling worked on the second try. Had to stop and assemble two of the arrays to get them up.

mdstat ist looking like this
    Code:
    root@mediacenter:/home/ludwig# more /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md1 : active raid5 sdd1[1] sdb1[0] sdc1[3]
          524285568 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/2] [_UU]
            resync=DELAYED

md0 : active raid1 sdd8[1] sdc8[3] sdb8[0]
          116390840 blocks super 1.2 [3/2] [U_U]
            resync=DELAYED

md7 : active raid5 sdd7[1] sdc7[3] sdb7[4]
          524285568 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/2] [U_U]
          [>....................]  recovery =  2.1% (5739036/262142784) finish=103.3min speed=41349K/sec

md6 : active raid5 sdd6[1] sdc6[3] sdb6[0]
            resync=DELAYED

md5 : active raid5 sdd5[1] sdc5[3] sdb5[0]
            resync=DELAYED

md4 : active raid5 sdd4[1] sdb4[0] sdc4[3]
            resync=DELAYED

md3 : active raid5 sdd3[1] sdc3[3] sdb3[4]
            resync=DELAYED

md2 : active raid5 sdd2[4] sdc2[3] sdb2[0]
            resync=DELAYED

unused devices: <none>
    I keep my fingers crossed that this is going to work.

And thanks again for your help
    Last edited by _dolittle_; November 17th, 2012 at 06:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rubylaser View Post
    The main usage for the system is a file server for media files like music, video, etc. It also has a TV card for recording purposes. So the majority of the files are quite large.

There's also the mirror set that contains very important document files shared in the internal network and automatically backed up in the cloud.

There are also some other services like a web server or subversion but they are used not much compared to samba.

Since it is likely to happen to run out of space one goal would be easy extensability. But currently I have only 4 SATA ports.

Does this provide a picture sufficient for a proposal?

Thanks

dolittle
    Last edited by _dolittle_; November 17th, 2012 at 09:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I love mdadm and use it everyday, but for home media storage, I've personally switched over to Snapraid. Each disk is independent and is mounted like a normal ext4 filesystem. This means that even if you lose more parity than your array supports, you still only lose the data on that one disk.

I have a tutorials for both mdadm or snapraid in my signature if you are interested. Either way, Snapraid or mdadm, I'd use RAID6, and use one big array, no need for a bunch of little arrays, or even LVM. You can expand either one of these solutions without the need for LVM.

If you have an extra PCI-Express x8 or x16 slot, you can easily add a card like the IBM m1015 or BR10i flashed to IT mode and add up to 8 SATA ports (you'll need forward breakout cables for either of these to hook up to disks).
    Last edited by rubylaser; November 18th, 2012 at 04:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I haven't used Snapraid at all, but I do +1 using RAID6 with that number of disks.

I've been running RAID5 with 3 drives, but anything with 5 or more would be better off running RAID6.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12