Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTX 660M nvidia Driver

Beans

GTX 660M nvidia Driver

Hello guys.

Hopefully someone knows a bit about the nvidia drivers. I am trying to install the drivers on a Lenovo Y580 that has a GTX 660M, running 12.04 64 bit. Everything I have tried results in the nvidia settings saying that "you do not appear to be using the nvidia x driver." I have downloaded the driver directly from nvidia and installed it, and I have done the following also.

Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    I have ran the
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig
    but that does absolutely nothing, still results in the settings saying that I am not using the nvidia x driver. Also my resolution is stuck on 640x480 with the drivers installed. It goes back to the native 1920x1080 after I uninstall them.

I have also tried out the bumblebee drivers... and they didn't work. Though that was something else entirely. I know there are a lot of threads out there with this kind of problem, but I just have not been able to come across anything that helps.
    Any suggestions or help any has to offer I greatly appreciate.

The driver that I have tried using is the 304.64 driver. The latest stable one.

Thanks

Beans

Angry Re: GTX 660M nvidia Driver

Not that it helps but I also have a y580 laptop with the same nVidia card and I've also done the exact same things you've mentioned without any luck.

I'm fresh out of options but if I ever do figure this out I'll post back and let you know.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: GTX 660M nvidia Driver

Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans

It looks like Lenovo Y580 is an Optimus/hybrid system, so you'll need to install the nvidia drivers through bumblebee (installing them directly won't work). What happened when you tried to use bumblebee?

Beans

Re: Bumblebee ...

Followed the instructions in this thread...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/18010...an-nvidia-card

...and the following happened...

Code:
    chris@y580:~$ sudo bumblebeed restart
    FATAL: Error inserting bbswitch (/lib/modules/3.2.0-33-generic/updates/dkms/bbswitch.ko): No such device
    [  391.369245] [ERROR]Module bbswitch could not be loaded (timeout?)
    [  391.369339] [WARN]No switching method available. The dedicated card will always be on.
    [  391.371361] [ERROR]Daemon already running, pid 8477
    ...then...

Code:
    chris@y580:~$ optirun glxgears
    [  402.325875] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the

[  402.325948] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

Beans

Perhaps you need to enable switchable graphics in the BIOS/EFI?..

Beans

Do a fresh reinstall of the OS then try this

http://eternalvoid.net/tutorials/linux-optimus-gt650m/

plus my comment on the bottom (the one posted at 2012-12-01 20:57:27 EST)

No garantees but it worked on my ASUS N56VZ on Ubuntu 12.04. I have my intel GPU working and my NVIDIA 650m working with optirun command.

Good luck.

Beans

@carnivroar I actually came across that same tutorial a couple days ago. That is the farthest I have been able to get with bumblebee. It still doesn't run right though. When running
    Code:
    optirun glxspheres
    I get this:
    Code:
    [  113.389366] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA: Use the -ignoreABI option to override this check.

[  113.389431] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
    I have not seen this particular error before. I sent off a bug report to the bumblebee devs, hopefully they get back with me soon.
    I am beginning to hate optimus machines...
    @Temüjin, I don't think there is a way to disable and enable the graphics in bios.

P.S. I have also done the "lenovo hack" from here --> https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...ee/hack-lenovo
    Last edited by technofreak08; December 2nd, 2012 at 06:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by technofreak08 View Post
    @carnivroar I actually came across that same tutorial a couple days ago. That is the farthest I have been able to get with bumblebee. It still doesn't run right though. When running
    Code:
    optirun glxspheres
    I get this:
    Code:
    [  113.389366] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA: Use the -ignoreABI option to override this check.

[  113.389431] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
    I have not seen this particular error before. I sent off a bug report to the bumblebee devs, hopefully they get back with me soon.
    I am beginning to hate optimus machines...
    @Temüjin, I don't think there is a way to disable and enable the graphics in bios.
    I have seen that error before, usually when I mess around with the drivers and end up screwing everything up.

If you start from a clean install, do exactly what the tutorial tells you, it should work. I have done it a couple of times.

It was really getting the CUDA SDK that was giving me problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carnivroar View Post
    I have seen that error before, usually when I mess around with the drivers and end up screwing everything up.

If you start from a clean install, do exactly what the tutorial tells you, it should work. I have done it a couple of times.

It was really getting the CUDA SDK that was giving me problems.
    I will give that a shot, thanks.
    I was using 12.10, you think I should just use 12.04? 12.10 seemed to work better with my system but the drives may work better with 12.04.
    Probably will be a couple weeks before I can try it out since I am in the middle of finals at the moment. I will report back when I get it done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast