Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GTX 660M nvidia Driver

Beans

Re: GTX 660M nvidia Driver

Quote Originally Posted by technofreak08 View Post
    I will give that a shot, thanks.
    I was using 12.10, you think I should just use 12.04? 12.10 seemed to work better with my system but the drives may work better with 12.04.
    Probably will be a couple weeks before I can try it out since I am in the middle of finals at the moment. I will report back when I get it done.
    I'm not sure. I guess it would work on 12.10 just as well. I have never used it, who knows, it's probably better. The only reason I am using 12.04 is because that's what I have on a USB that I use to install the OS.

Beans

Bumblebee users were reporting issues with 6x0M nvidia chips. If you're using the latest nvidia driver, and still getting "cannot access secondary GPU", then nvidia hasn't fixed it yet..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I ordered the Y580, so I may be able to help when it arrives.

Check out the following video, he seems to have the 660m running well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ3dskLgxsM

Perhaps you could reach out to him?

His contact info is listed on his Youtube page.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: GTX 660M nvidia Driver

I followed the directions here and everything worked well on the y580.

Note that Google translate messed up some of the spacing so I had to fix that manually. Also, be sure when you get to the git section to just use the steps at https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...ee/hack-lenovo

Let me know how it works for you all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As an update I have gotten this to work in both 12.04 and 12.10.

In 12.10 optirun glxgears returns 1500-1700 FPS. Anyone else want to share what they have gotten for comparison?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmp6nl View Post
    As an update I have gotten this to work in both 12.04 and 12.10.

In 12.10 optirun glxgears returns 1500-1700 FPS. Anyone else want to share what they have gotten for comparison?
    Thanks for the help, I have it working following your instructions. My FPS is about 1070 on 12.04 LTS Ubuntu.

Beans

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to this thread. I did finally get Bumblebee to work properly. I followed these instructions and got it working. I used the latest nvidia drivers. Though I am really regretting getting a laptop with optimus right about now... I love my Lenovo y580 but it is such a pain. I couldn't get Quak4 to run with "optirun" which was super disappointing. One thing I was thinking of was trying just nvidia drivers by themselves to see if I could skip over the intel chip completely. Not sure if that would work though. If anybody knows anything on that let me know.

...Though I have tried installing the nvidia driver... and it didn't work out so well...
    Last edited by technofreak08; January 8th, 2013 at 05:42 AM.

hadrons123 Guest

I get 1200 FPS in (optirun glxgears -info) in Debian sid with nvidia 304 drivers with suwako bumblebee.

When I use Arch linux with nvidia-bumblebee 310 and 313.x drivers I get only 600 FPS.

fedora 18 has similar values as Arch linux.

I know optirun is not a benchmarking app, but I simply dont understand the variation in the newer drivers.
    Last edited by hadrons123; January 18th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12