Thread: Do BIOS manufactures put code in the BIOS that is only executable by windows?

Beans

Do BIOS manufactures put code in the BIOS that is only executable by windows?

Okay, before I get a bunch of posts saying this relates to another thread, I will admit, yes it does. This is related, however it is a new question. If yo would like to see what this question derives from you can go here...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2080768

My computer seems fine now (after a chkdisk fixed the multiple errors on the file system), but I am wondering why the computer ONLY overheated in windows.

When I was taking a unix class (and we all ran a distro of linux...being a community college and all), I wanted to know why the start up times on our distro were so fast. My professor said that the windows kernel has way more lines of code than the linux kernel. I do not know for sure if that is true, but I would not be surprised. It is because of this, I am wondering if there is some BIOS code that only activates within windows.

I am honestly very curious, if it isn't something software specific with the BIOS (or some hardware setting that only windows sets), then why would it only happen on windows and not linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Do BIOS manufactures put code in the BIOS that is only executable by windows?

I think my laptop BIOS has a Vista specific option, next time I reboot I'll try to
    remember to have a look. I do know that it is disabled.

Edit: I have a BIOS setting called "Windows Vista Direct App Launch", I have no idea what it is for.
    I bought this laptop new because it was a "downgrade" from Vista Business to XP pro. That would be an upgrade in my opinion
    It's a HP Compaq 6715b
    Last edited by coldraven; November 16th, 2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Do BIOS manufactures put code in the BIOS that is only executable by windows?

Intel is making some motherboards that can only boot Windows. You can't turn it off either iirc without getting a fully new board or BIOS.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    I think my laptop BIOS has a Vista specific option, next time I reboot I'll try to
    remember to have a look. I do know that it is disabled.

Edit: I have a BIOS setting called "Windows Vista Direct App Launch", I have no idea what it is for.
    I bought this laptop new because it was a "downgrade" from Vista Business to XP pro. That would be an upgrade in my opinion
    It's a HP Compaq 6715b
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../gg463078.aspx

HERE.
    For the thread question, sure.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Intel is making some motherboards that can only boot Windows. You can't turn it off either iirc without getting a fully new board or BIOS.
    See this is the reason to go AMD, yeah the chips are not as good as intels but screw that when intel is trying to block linux on some MOBO's