Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the new kernel 3.2.0-33 stable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is the new kernel 3.2.0-33 stable?

I got the new kernel upgrade and had a little issue. I run two VMs on a Toshiba laptop, one with Ubu 12.04 and one with Mint 13 MATE. On the Ubuntu VM when I rebooted after the kernel update, the resolution went to 1024x768. In the Displays setting it did not even show an option to switch back to 1366x768.

On the Mint VM it worked just fine, no change in the display resolution upon reboot and just to make sure, I checked the Display settings and there was the 1366x768 setting.

I'm thinking maybe has something to do with Unity/Compiz on the Ubuntu VM?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wheeze View Post
    I got the new kernel upgrade and had a little issue. I run two VMs on a Toshiba laptop, one with Ubu 12.04 and one with Mint 13 MATE. On the Ubuntu VM when I rebooted after the kernel update, the resolution went to 1024x768. In the Displays setting it did not even show an option to switch back to 1366x768.

On the Mint VM it worked just fine, no change in the display resolution upon reboot and just to make sure, I checked the Display settings and there was the 1366x768 setting.

I'm thinking maybe has something to do with Unity/Compiz on the Ubuntu VM?
    You can test your theory by booting with the old kernel. If it works fine with the old kernel, but doesn't work with the new kernel, that supports your theory that the problem is kernel-related.

If you haven't done so already, you may wish to install dkms as this will automate the process of rebuilding the virtualbox module each time you upgrade the kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    You can test your theory by booting with the old kernel. If it works fine with the old kernel, but doesn't work with the new kernel, that supports your theory that the problem is kernel-related.

If you haven't done so already, you may wish to install dkms as this will automate the process of rebuilding the virtualbox module each time you upgrade the kernel.
    Already did both of those.

Runs fine with the previous kernel, no 1366 resolution with the new kernel.

dkms is standard in my world!

Beans

I am running 12.04 and run a couple of kvm virtuals that access the internet via a bridge. After the update to 33 my virtuals COULD access the internet (a 12.04 virtual had not yet had the kernel update) and my host could access the router but COULD NOT get past that. I checked the default route etc and the config files that I had used to setup the bridge and all seemed well. Probleem persisted several reboots. Once I booted the host into 32 all was fine. Maybe just a coincidence but suffice it to say I will wait till I have more time to play with it before booting into 33 agian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by write2kerry View Post
    I am running 12.04 and run a couple of kvm virtuals that access the internet via a bridge. After the update to 33 my virtuals COULD access the internet (a 12.04 virtual had not yet had the kernel update) and my host could access the router but COULD NOT get past that. I checked the default route etc and the config files that I had used to setup the bridge and all seemed well. Probleem persisted several reboots. Once I booted the host into 32 all was fine. Maybe just a coincidence but suffice it to say I will wait till I have more time to play with it before booting into 33 agian.
    I hear that,,good to know,,I have had a few strage things happen after the 33 update,,but only while my audio recording intereface was plugged in,,using audacity,screen went to a visitor screen or something,,not quite sure,,but after a reboot,,it has been running solid,,I have not plugged the interface in again yet
    Assume nothing,,until it is proven.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12