Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suspend unreliable... Is there a fix? [12.10]

Beans

Re: Suspend unreliable... Is there a fix? [12.10]

Quote Originally Posted by idoitprone View Post
    ok. i am stump unless the kernel was not reading etc modules

i guess i can suggest adding that line to grub default, but I believe it should be disable on default. I just wanted to test it on newer kernel because I do not really know.

to undo what i did

open the file browser as root
    go to
    /etc/modprobe.d and delete the i915 file
    I have a theory... Firstly... Could it be that your fix isn't working because of something to do with the fix I mentioned in my first post? Also, is it possible it could be because I haven't done chmod to give your script permission to run?

Update: I was right!! I did sudo chmod 755 /etc/modprobe.d/i915.config and now suspend works!! The first couple times I tested it, it seems to be giving me the same internal error as before, although everything seemed to be working, but now it seems to of stopped. Now to try and fix this stupid phantom battery issue...
    Last edited by LilLZ; November 17th, 2012 at 02:54 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LilLZ View Post
    I have a theory... Firstly... Could it be that your fix isn't working because of something to do with the fix I mentioned in my first post? Also, is it possible it could be because I haven't done chmod to give your script permission to run?

Update: I was right!! I did sudo chmod 755 /etc/modprobe.d/i915.config and now suspend works!! The first couple times I tested it, it seems to be giving me the same internal error as before, although everything seemed to be working, but now it seems to of stopped. Now to try and fix this stupid phantom battery issue...
    it worked coool
    it not a script it is a config file for modprobe
    Modify your bug report saying intel hd 3000 i915 rc6 sleep states does not work on hp foli 13

In your i1915 config

add this

Code:
    lvds_downclock=1
    to the end of i915 file

you new /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf should look like

Code:
    options i915 i915_enable_rc6=0 lvds_downclock=1
    this should lower your power usage of the intel chip

If you really wanted a better bug report, then I will recommend testing the rc6 sleep states

parm:i915_enable_rc6:Enable power-saving render C-state 6. Different stages can be selected via bitmask values (0 = disable; 1 = enable rc6; 2 = enable deep rc6; 4 = enable deepest rc6). For example, 3 would enable rc6 and deep rc6, and 7 would enable everything. default: -1 (use per-chip default) (int)
    change the 0 to number 1-7

1 2 4

activates a distinct sleep state
    3 is 1+2 which mean sleep state 1 and 2 is active
    Last edited by idoitprone; November 17th, 2012 at 05:14 AM.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

Ok I just added it.. I'll run it for awhile and see if it makes an impact.. In the mean time do you know anything about the phantom battery thing I posted here? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2084862

Update: Its running pretty warm still and suspend doesn't work anymore after I added that...
    Update2: Even tried removing the lvds from it and the custom sleep script in my sleep.d from my first post... When i try to suspend it says something about hdio get failure or something like that and then when it does its stupid turning back it says something about journal entry a ton of times...

Update 3: I redid everything and it seems to be working again. Computer fan still running and computer still warm, though. A couple other things... When I resume, my magic mouse no longer works, I need to logout and login to get it to work again. Also, when I resume, the two batteries show up like I mentioned and the only way to fix it is to reboot.
    Last edited by LilLZ; November 18th, 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LilLZ View Post
    Ok I just added it.. I'll run it for awhile and see if it makes an impact.. In the mean time do you know anything about the phantom battery thing I posted here? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2084862
    I never really experience that before, but the other other battery might be your mouses

The battery meter sometimes detect another device that has a battery

magic mouse
    I wonder why people buy mouses that give people hand strain
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by idoitprone View Post
    The battery meter sometimes detect another device that has a battery
    I got here by way of a Google search for "phantom battery" but it turns out I may have information relevant to the suspend problem. First, thanks for the info about the second battery being in the mouse. I removed the battery in my new mouse and the menu changed to "Battery (not present)". Mystery solved. It should have been a clue that the second battery appeared in the menu around the time I got my new Toshiba Bluetooth mouse.

But here is another clue for you, the Apple Magic Mouse (from the original poster) is also a Bluetooth mouse and yes, I too have been noticing problems with suspend since I got MY Bluetooth mouse. So to test the theory I entered Bluetooth setup and removed my Bluetooth mouse, and without restarting I was able to close the laptop lid and resume from suspend many times in a row. No problem. Then I added back the Bluetooth mouse and it almost immediately crashed on the first resume from suspend. I suspect there is another thread centered around buggy Bluetooth issues which I will search for later but I wanted to tell of my findings here first.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123