Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix On Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Netflix On Ubuntu

It appears that I Heart Ubuntu's campaign to get Netflix running on Ubuntu has paid off. The setup doesn't look easy, but it might be worth it. I'm trying it out now to see how it works.

How to install:
    You can install the Netflix app quite easily with these commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
    EXT2/3 Filesystems:
    Open up fstab in you favorite editor. If you use Gedit, you can run this:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    Now you need to add ,user_xattr to the fourth column the root filesystem line. It should look similar to this:
    Code:
    UUID=94f7fc1e-fa27-4b24-99f3-4b461665a4a4       /       ext4    errors=remount-ro,user_xattr       0       1
    Then just remount your root filesystem:
    Code:
    sudo mount -o remount /
    Sound Issues:
    If you're having sound issues with WINE on a 64-bit machine, some users have found this helpful:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins:i386
    Last edited by dniMretsaM; November 21st, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans

Re: Netflix On Ubuntu

Any luck? I'm on 64bit so I tried building in chroot but it doesn't seem to work. Firefox installs but when I open the Netflix site it doesn't seem to find the Silverlight plugin...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's not really on Ubuntu, it's on Windows but available via WINE. What has happened is that there is now a version of WINE which can handle the weirdness in the Netflix Windows client.

Netflix is available for Android/Linux so it would not be that hard to finish porting it to GNU/Linux so we can have it on Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

This is awesome. I have 64-bit, so I'll be waiting on the PPA. Hopefully these changes to get this working don't create any regressions in Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    It's not really on Ubuntu, it's on Windows but available via WINE. What has happened is that there is now a version of WINE which can handle the weirdness in the Netflix Windows client.
    Running Windows apps in Wine is not the same as it being on Windows. You don't have to use a VM for this, so I'd say that it's legitimately running in Ubuntu, because Wine is not an emulator.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It may run under WINE but it is still a Windows version using the Windows APIs and all that. They have it in them, technically, to make a native Linux version. They already have for Android. Porting it to regular Linux should be a small step.

Anyway, even it if is a small step forward of sorts, it is a step forward.

Beans

It may run under WINE but it is still a Windows version using the Windows APIs and all that. They have it in them, technically, to make a native Linux version. They already have for Android. Porting it to regular Linux should be a small step.

Anyway, even it if is a small step forward of sorts, it is a step forward.
    My son bought a new chromebook (small for my taste) and tells me that Netflix works OK on it. So I'd think it should be possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Whoa.
    Yes.

I'll probably wait for the PPA mentioned in the article, but this looks really cool! Does anyone know if it would be possible to install this version of wine alongside my current version, by compiling it differently?

This should work for other silverlight-DRM sites like Lovefilm, right? This issue is the only thing that stops me from recommending Ubuntu to people... obviously an official, supported solution would be best, but this is such great news.

The chromebook version uses a hardware chip for DRM, IIRC, so that's not really portable to Ubuntu.

Beans

Netflix is available for Android/Linux so it would not be that hard to finish porting it to GNU/Linux so we can have it on Ubuntu.
    Um, then why haven't we seen anyone crack the app open and play it on a Linux install yet? I'd imagine there is some processor hoodoo involved, since ARM doesn't translate well to x86, and the DRM thing seems to be baked into the app over hardware.

EDIT: Netflix does have it in them to program a native Linux version, but the call is from up top, citing no Silverlight support to hold their hand for them. Which is silly, since the Android and Chrome OS versions work fine without Silverlight, but prodding them on the issue seems to not work in our benefit. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/n...lans-for-linux
    Last edited by moocow1452; November 16th, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clue

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Well, I ended up not compiling since I'm on a 64-bit system. I don't use Netflix much anyway, so I didn't figure the trouble would be worth it. Has anyone else given it a try yet? I would love to hear how it works.

Even though this isn't a native Netflix client, it's still an awesome step in the right direction.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

While native Netflix would be awesome I dont see it happening..

I got Netflix on 4 devices so im happy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast