Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix On Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Netflix On Ubuntu

I now notice 2 problems. Video playback is a little choppy in standard def, but still watchable. In HD mode, it only plays 1 frame every 1/3 of a second and is completely unwatchable... I'm thinking I need to change some setting in the wine configuration, but that part of wine is not in my application menu anymore. Anyone else have this problem?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    Try this
    while in the app before starting a movie
    hit F11 if full screen
    hit alt + v key

tell it to load the menu and navigation bars

close it then reopen and see it it has them showing and not full screened

Like everything else, it only seems to work half the time if im lucky. Do you know anything about fixing the extremely choppy HD streams?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by silverhaze06 View Post
    Like everything else, it only seems to work half the time if im lucky. Do you know anything about fixing the extremely choppy HD streams?
    That is likely due to Silverlight ver 4 being used. Silverlight ver 5 uses hardware accelerated video. On a win7 machine 4 core cpu with nvidia geforce 260 I noticed the difference between ver 4 and ver 5.

I think if you look up netflix judder you may find more info.

Also do a search for 'example' under netflix. They have encoded various videos which have no judder when watched from my ubuntu machine. So it could be that some Netflix video will look better and other worse depending on how much effort Netflix puts into them.
    these examples play fairly smooth on my ubuntu pc.

I can watch Amazon prime video smooth as silk.
    How does Amazon play for you? They have some free video.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    That is likely due to Silverlight ver 4 being used. Silverlight ver 5 uses hardware accelerated video. On a win7 machine 4 core cpu with nvidia geforce 260 I noticed the difference between ver 4 and ver 5.

I think if you look up netflix judder you may find more info.

Also do a search for 'example' under netflix. They have encoded various videos which have no judder when watched from my ubuntu machine. So it could be that some Netflix video will look better and other worse depending on how much effort Netflix puts into them.
    these examples play fairly smooth on my ubuntu pc.

I can watch Amazon prime video smooth as silk.
    How does Amazon play for you? They have some free video.
    Yeah the sample movies on netflix were not quite as jittery, but still jittery. So for now ill have to set the quality down I guess. The sample movies I played on amazon prime were smooth as silk tho, like you said.

Beans
    Distro

Or could it have something to do with the fact that the version of wine its running under is a 32bit version and im on a 64bit system?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I got it to work on Kubuntu 64 bit, when I tested it on our new laptop, so that ought not to be the case

Beans

Re: Netflix On Ubuntu - Firefox Gone?

my installation won't start... i ran "netflix-desktop --showdebug" and got the error "wine: cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe'"
    so i checked my /.netflix-desktop/drive_c/Program Files folder and found no Firefox Folder... help? Does any one have the folder, could someone pack it in to a zip or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by tcuc View Post
    my installation won't start... i ran "netflix-desktop --showdebug" and got the error "wine: cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe'"
    so i checked my /.netflix-desktop/drive_c/Program Files folder and found no Firefox Folder... help? Does any one have the folder, could someone pack it in to a zip or something?
    Remove the ~/.netflix-desktop directory and reinstall the application.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    Remove the ~/.netflix-desktop directory and reinstall the application.
    Thanks, I deleted the "~.netflix-desktop/" and then installed netflix-desktop:i386 (sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop:i386) it worked grate on my Ubuntu 12.04 x64.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Having an issue on 12.04 x64. The program installs through the terminal, but when I go to click on the icon; nothing happens at all. Does anybody know what's going on here?

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast