Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix On Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Netflix On Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I thought I saw Deadwood in the list of DVD's available if I chose to get a DVD at a time

I saw the first season of the Walking Dead and I loved it, but then I had to cut the cord/cable

I started watching Supernatural on Hulu about one year ago, I can also watch it on "the CW" but that's very fiddly ... the ads suck.

Supernatural is kind of a quirky/corny show. A combo of sci-fi/horror with a taste of humor. But I'd love to see it from season 1 -->

I've seroiusly been thinking about doing the DVD only thing with Netflix so I can enjoy in hi-def. It makes no sense to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a hi-def TV that can't get reception w/o a major investment.

BTW:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/De...9?locale=en-US
    Yes, you can get Deadwood etc. on DVD.... and that has always worked just fine on Linux... we are only discussing their streaming service here (which hasn't work on Linux until now).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    No conspiracy theory, Microsoft publicly stated the reason they won't license PlayReady to Linux on a Desktop is because they fear hackers will crack their DRM, which is ridiculous.

Silverlight runs via Moonlight in Linux, what doesn't is the PlayReady drm. All I'm stating is this is more Microsofts fault that it won't run on Linux than it is Netflix's fault. Honestly I'd rather watch it on one of my blu-rays or on my Wii and don't much care if it works on Linux or not, I do wish it worked on my Netbook while in Ubuntu however.
    lol that's funny. hackers will crack their drm one way or another so i don't see why they even bother. the whole point of paying for netflix in the first place for me anyway is that i have a cheap way to watch a lot of content without piracy.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Yes, you can get Deadwood etc. on DVD.... and that has always worked just fine on Linux... we are only discussing their streaming service here (which hasn't work on Linux until now).
    I'm fully aware of that

But in post #17 you said, "Netflix doesn't stream HBO shows like Deadwood".

I honestly didn't know that there was a difference between what could be streamed or what I could get in the mail-box

Maybe I should just do the DVD by mail routine

Beans

I'm fully aware of that

But in post #17 you said, "Netflix doesn't stream HBO shows like Deadwood".

I honestly didn't know that there was a difference between what could be streamed or what I could get in the mail-box

Only a very small % of Netflix content is available for streaming. Frankly I don't understand why people make such a big deal over Netflix streaming. It's great if you want to watch reruns of Lost, but there are other Linux-friendly services that already let you do that.
    Last edited by snowpine; November 16th, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

There's a lot you can stream that you can't get on DVD as well. As much as I love my netflix, sometimes it makes me do this.

Honestly 98% of our netflix is my son using the netflix for kids on our wii, they have a lot of pbs kids shows so it's great for him.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Only a very small % of Netflix content is available for streaming. Frankly I don't understand why people make such a big deal over Netflix streaming. It's great if you want to watch reruns of Lost, but there are other Linux-friendly services that already let you do that.
    Mostly it's that Netflix is the single holdout in not playing well with non-flash webservices, it's the Coke in the streaming world to everything elses RC Cola, and it means something to play all the movies. Plus, they licensed a new season of Arrested Development for 2013, and have an unparalleled TV collection to binge, even considering Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. (And by unparalleled, I mean Futurama.)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clue

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey, pretty cool. I wonder if MS will pull any dirty tricks to stop it? - if it's even possible...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This trick doesn't support the latest Silverlight; all they'd have to do to break it would be to make the version wine can run incompatible with their DRM & force all the Windows users to upgrade.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    This trick doesn't support the latest Silverlight; all they'd have to do to break it would be to make the version wine can run incompatible with their DRM & force all the Windows users to upgrade.
    and why would they bother with that?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    and why would they bother with that?
    Apple does it all the time. Apple would do it every day if they had to. So why wouldn't Microsoft?

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast