Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Luck RAM?

Beans

Question Bad Luck RAM?

Okay, so at first, I installed 12.10 on my VAIO just fine. Brand new hard drive since the one that was in had my partitions all strange. I didn't want to deal with it so in went the new one. I installed all nice and good via USB(I feel this might have been the problem, but hear me out.)

It installed and worked perfectly good for a while. Then, it froze. I shut it down and back up. It froze again for a while. I ran a memcheck on the next boot and I have errors at Test#7 [random number sequence] EXACTLY at 43% (this is important). So I thought, darn, need to replace RAM. Oh well. *replace RAM and test again* Fails same exact spot. I think, DAMN! RAM SLOTS! *clean with rubbing alcohol and each slot individually* Both fail. I thought, well hell, I'm SOL.

NOW: I found my old laptop and powered Win7 perfectly fine and what not. I mess with it, then format and install Ubuntu 12.10 once again. Again, installs fine, works fine and BOOM! Freezes. Immediately ran the MEMCHECK and what do you know? Fails same exact spot as stated above. There's NO way I can be this unlucky. I mean, is it really my RAM, or did I do something wrong?

[This is my first time EVER messing with Linux in general.]

Beans

Re: Bad Luck RAM?

How much RAM do u have? You shouldn't be using rubbing alcohol, where do you get your ram You should make sure your RAM is snapped in and that's it. Try reinstall-repair, that should take care of it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Try this (From memory. Sorry, I don't have any USB installation media handy):

Boot from your USB, pressing and holding any key during the boot process (after the post).

Press F6 (I think!), which should bring up a language menu. Choose English or anything you care to.

You should get an option menu.

First choose "Check disk for defects" to check the install media (not the hard disk). In your case, this will check the integrity of the image on your USB drive.

If the media check fails, you may need to retrieve the image again to make sure you have a good copy.

If all is well, select the "Test memory" option and run it from the USB device.

My guess is a bad install image.
    Last edited by QIII; November 16th, 2012 at 04:15 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Red face Re: Bad Luck RAM?

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Try this (From memory. Sorry, I don't have any USB installation media handy):

Boot from your USB, pressing and holding any key during the boot process (after the post).

Press F6 (I think!), which should bring up a language menu. Choose English or anything you care to.

You should get an option menu.

First choose "Check disk for defects" to check the install media (not the hard disk). In your case, this will check the integrity of the image on your USB drive.

If the media check fails, you may need to retrieve the image again to make sure you have a good copy.

If all is well, select the "Test memory" option and run it from the USB device.

My guess is a bad install image.
    This is what I was told by a friend. I booted the USB into said menu, however, I see no option to check the disk. I see the test memory, but nothing more than boot main hard disk and install Ubuntu into hard drive.

(Also, I'm installing the x64. Not sure if that makes a difference.)

Beans

Exclamation Re: Bad Luck RAM?

Okay, so I did the following: I moved from USB's to DVD's

I got gparted on one DVD and formated into NTFS. After I did this, I installed Ubuntu normally. The installation still froze. I REALLY doubt it's my RAM since this exact same issue is happening with my old laptop as well after I moved to that one and tried installing Ubuntu 12.10

I'm gonna try to get a Windows 7 disk and install that instead then check my RAM once more. I'll post results.

Beans

Okay, this is what I did:

Re-Installed Windows 7 on both computers on freshly formatted hard drives. Both computers freeze up constantly. Ran MEMCheck and they keep failing. Mind this: I made sure the RAM was set on my VAIO as I did mess with that one. As far as my Dell goes, I NEVER touched the RAM before. This HAS to be a system error. I don't think it's faulty RAM since my Dell has never had issues. (Unless I really do have this much bad luck )

Beans

I forgot to mention, the disk checked out perfectly. There were no defects.

Beans

Bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

did you check the downloaded image and make sure it is a good one? : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

also you shouldn't install to NTFS (iot will cause problems).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

did you check the downloaded image and make sure it is a good one? : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

also you shouldn't install to NTFS (it will cause problems).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast