Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: elementary OS Luna Beta 1

Beans

Re: elementary OS Luna Beta 1

I've been using the daily build for months now, I really loved it initially.

Then I started using OS X and I realized they "borrowed" just too many things from it for my liking

I know the running joke is that Luna is just a rip off of OS X, but the truth is that it actually is in many ways:

Theme style - the polished silver gradient look is the first thing that makes people think you are using OS X. It's a good look though so I can see why many would want to use it

Pantheon Files - Very similar to OS X's Finder except it lacks very basic features like search

Pantheon Notify - Not yet implemented in Luna (probably Luna+1) however I have seen videos of it and they basically want to implement a Notification Center that slides in on the right. Similar to Mountain Lion

Midori - They are putting in a "page slide" transition when you click the back and forward arrows. Similar to Safari

Switchboard - Literally almost identical to the OS X System Preferences

Workspace switcher - The way it appears on the bottom of the screen seems similar to Mission Control

And I'm sure there are a bunch of other subtle similarities

My point: I like OS X and Luna. But if I want something pretty and functional I'm going with OS X. Luna looks cute but it has a long way to go. I personally don't think Luna will be very impressive, Luna+1 will likely be much better when they get around to fixing all the little details.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    Check out this tutorial:

http://refugeeks.com/RefuGeeks/2012/...ntary-os-luna/

Here is my Macbuntu Luna OS:
    I know about Dconf-editor. I had the two buttons on the right side from the beginning. I know that the minimize button is there as a ghost.

I am not changing the wallpaper--its one of the nicest I've seen yet!

Good day!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chdslv; November 18th, 2012 at 04:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I checked out the beta tonight. I like what the developers are trying to accomplish. Everything looked good, very good actually. The OS ran fast off the Live CD and I have enough RAM that I was able to install and try some different applications in it. Midori was worthless to me because flash does not work in it, it would be the fist thing I would replace.

Personally, I would have to stick with Linux Mint 14. Cinnamon is easier to customize and I like all of the right click options in Nemo.

Beans

When I upgraded Luna Beta 1 to Quantal, I got a bonus; Gnome-classic and Unity. I also installed Awn dock, before I upgraded Luna. Awn session has all the eye-candy and the snappiness of Elementary OS Luna.

And no ugly black top panel

And a visible minimize button...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I installed it and I am thrilled so far. Excellent, smooth and very fast on my 6 year-old Dell Dimension E520.

I have it running along with some of my favorite PPAs added to the sources.list. I did, however, opt for Docky in favor of Plank. Plank has no customizations or settings. A show-stopper for any dock as far as I'm concerned. Other than that, a stock install. And I love the stability of the 12.04 LTS base.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    When I upgraded Luna Beta 1 to Quantal, I got a bonus; Gnome-classic and Unity. I also installed Awn dock, before I upgraded Luna. Awn session has all the eye-candy and the snappiness of Elementary OS Luna.

And no ugly black top panel

And a visible minimize button...

I like it! Now if the ZevenOS deskbar could be compiled to run on Pantheon Shell - you've got a nice little BEOS clone. I don't see the wingpanel as a problem as everything is independent and you can customize eOS to your liking!

Beans

I've been using it since it was released. No problems whatsoever.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    I've been using it since it was released. No problems whatsoever.
    That's what I've been telling them. There is no problem whatsoever. I even made a Quantal-Luna with Quantal and Luna apps from the mini.iso, and that too works quite well. I even moved Beta 1 to Raring and that too works smoothly.

I took off all the "new" Elementary apps and replaced them with known apps like Nautilus, Gedit, Rhythmbox etc, and everything worked very well. I even took away Wingpanel, and replaced it with Awn, Docky, Tint2, Lxpanel, and it still worked.

But, the Elementary devs are insisting that they have bugs, full of them. I wonder, what makes them so fearful, while Pear OS 6 had come our with even the old Slingshot!

Beans

That's what I've been telling them. There is no problem whatsoever. I even made a Quantal-Luna with Quantal and Luna apps from the mini.iso, and that too works quite well. I even moved Beta 1 to Raring and that too works smoothly.

I took off all the "new" Elementary apps and replaced them with known apps like Nautilus, Gedit, Rhythmbox etc, and everything worked very well. I even took away Wingpanel, and replaced it with Awn, Docky, Tint2, Lxpanel, and it still worked.

But, the Elementary devs are insisting that they have bugs, full of them. I wonder, what makes them so fearful, while Pear OS 6 had come our with even the old Slingshot!
    They're releasing updates everyday to the Beta, which is stable enough for every day use. The modular nature of the system is what makes it work well - you can customize it to your liking! By building everything as separate components, you're not tied down to a standard eOS "build." I've really liked it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation Re: elementary OS Luna Beta 1

Using a mixture of Ubuntu-tweak and Gnome-tweak-tool, you can change the colour of the top panel (Wingpanel). This Wingpanel is derived of Gnome-shell 3.4.1 top panel, but the Elementary devs had not given the auto hide ability.
    Wingpanel is NOT derived from any GNOMES hell components. It's written from scratch, it's standalone (unlike GS's) and it's written in Vala (not JavaScript). Where do you guys get these misconceptions?

Quote Originally Posted by coldjeanz View Post
    Pantheon Notify - Not yet implemented in Luna (probably Luna+1) however I have seen videos of it and they basically want to implement a Notification Center that slides in on the right. Similar to Mountain Lion
    That's just an experiment of just one developer. Notification center is not planned for elementary OS. The reason is simple: it's not notifications but action items you don't want to miss, and those are displayed on the dock (badges).
    Last edited by Shnatsel; November 20th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast