Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8: What have I done?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Windows 8: What have I done?

Forgive me Ubuntu community for I have sinned, I have just bought a copy of Microsoft Windows 8. I really didn't want to do it, but I kind of had to. Let me explain. I recently was offered a position as a beta tester for Western Digital. They will be sending me new upcoming hard drives to test because I guess they noticed that I've buying a lot of their products being that I am a small time PC builder. I like to use Free Libre Open Source Software whenever possible, and in fact I have an open source OS in every computer in my home (2 laptops with Ubuntu, 2 desktops with Ubuntu & 1 older desktop with Xubuntu). However, I will be having to use proprietary software to run benchmarks as part of the WD Beta Labs tester program, thus I will have to use a real Windows PC. Staples had a one-day only coupon that allowed me to get Windows 8 for $40 so I went ahead and bought it. However, I feel kind of bad about it and I just had to vent. I hope you can forgive me for what I've done.
    To compensate, I've noticed that with the new Ubuntu 12.10 we are given the option to "donate" money prior to downloading it from the website, so I plan to donate some money in order to download a copy of Ubuntu 12.10 that I may or may not use. I'm perfectly happy with 12.04LTS and I really like stability so I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to the newer 12.10 because it will not be supported as long as the 12.04LTS release and usually non-LTS releases tend to not be as stable as LTS releases. Either way, I will donate money to Canonical to show my support for the great job they've been doing but also as part of my penance for buying Windows 8.

PS. I am contacting Western Digital to see if it's at all possible to use Linux as a beta tester, which is why I'm still keeping my copy of Window$ 8 in its unopened box, just in case I have the chance to return it.
    Last edited by lisati; October 28th, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Correct spelling mistakes for Windows

All I know is that I know nothing....

Beans

Re: Windows 8: What have I done?

You are forgiven oscarivera9. I too sinned months ago having taken advantage of my school's access to the MSDN to grab a copy of windows 8, among other software from them.
    Last edited by lisati; October 28th, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Correct spelling mistake

Beans

Speaking personally, I find the Os wars pretty tiresome and even when people settle on the same OS (linux) they have to fight over different distros.

For what it's worth, I believe in using the best tool for the job and if that happens to be Windows then so be it!

I've never been a fan of Windows (though I think 7 is actually pretty good) but I use linux because I like linux, NOT because I hate Windows.

Now if you were talking about OS X...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I really didn't want to do it, but I kind of had to

Western Digital. They will be sending me new upcoming hard drives to test
    I don't believe it--you're not sorry at all. You were bribed with free hard drives, shame, shame. Where can I sign up? I really need new hdds.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    Speaking personally, I find the Os wars pretty tiresome and even when people settle on the same OS (linux) they have to fight over different distros.

For what it's worth, I believe in using the best tool for the job and if that happens to be Windows then so be it!

I've never been a fan of Windows (though I think 7 is actually pretty good) but I use linux because I like linux, NOT because I hate Windows.

Now if you were talking about OS X...
    +1, no argument here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just bought and installed the W8 upgrade from XP.

I switched computers with the wife, gave her the dual core with a video card, so that she can watch youtube without studder. Not sure what to do with her and ubuntu or W8.

This box has a 2002 WD 80g 7200rpm drive. Fearing failure someday I bought a new WD 320g SATA drive. This box has a biostar board with IDE and SATA connectors. Since XP doesn't have SATA drivers, I installed 12.04 on the SATA and left XP, now W8 on the IDE. I saved my files and backup ubuntu on a 2004 WD 120g 7200rpm in a USB enclosure.

So if you want to send me WD drives to test with XP, W8 or linux, let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't mind. I bought Windows 7 and MS Office a while back, although for a computer originally intended for someone else.

I also bought Windows 7 Starter preinstalled on my netbook, I had no choice.

I currently use Windows 8 on my desktop, but the consumer preview only. At some stage before it expires I'll probably buy Win 8 properly so I can keep playing those Windows games and do my tax.

I'll also buy a copy of Windows 8 because I like using something a bit different, that nobody else has (I think I even have Vista in a Virtualbox... that wasn't such a bad Windows). Probably 90% or more of Windows 8-preinstalled machines will be downgraded to Seven, or (shudder) XP.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Sell win8 at ebay?

My win8 dev prev still works apart the update function is broken. I wonder what version I've got, as it was one of the very first to download and still works.

I remarked some games to be faster on Win8 alike X-Plane. Otherways I've hardly no use for it anymore. I use it, about alike switching to fvwm2 crystal, from time to time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

If you think using Windows 8 is a sin in ubuntuforums, then you got the wrong idea about Linux users.

(or maybe you got all your teachings from Richard M. Stallman? )
    Last edited by zombifier25; October 28th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm pretty sure Western Digital is more concerned about their wares functioning properly with Windows 7/8 than they are about Linux. So if you agree to be a beta tester it seems like you should be testing what WD needs tested. Nothing wrong with making sure things work properly with Linux too, though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast