Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: elementary OS Luna Beta 1

Beans

Re: elementary OS Luna Beta 1

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    I've waited a long while to try this one--finally! I like the looks of it, but it's so minimal. It will take a little exploring to find how things work, it's not the same O--same O menu. No minimize/maximize buttons on anything--only off. Odd.

So far, the only thing I have an issue with is the lan network doesn't connect out of the box, nor even after installing Samba. I can see it but not connect. I'll study it though and see what's what. That's an important requirement for me.

It's fast, but doesn't have many apps. No office app. Even had to install disk utility.
    It's going to be interesting
    You can fire up Dconf-editor to restore the minimize button so it works like one is accustomed. Yes, there is only the minimum of software installed but by installing Synaptic, you can access the entire universe of Ubuntu and third party repositories to configure eOS to your particular needs. Its better to install what you want than remove unnecessary applications. What do you want for themes? A Mac OSX theme works beautifully and the only drawback is the desktop is frozen solid with the Pantheon File Manager. Replacing it with Nautilus File Manager will restore a more conventional right click desktop and you can then show system icons on the desktop if you want.

This is what GNOME 3 should have been - light, easy to use and customizable. The GNOME Shell is an epic fail on the desktop and Pantheon Shell is more faithful to the desktop metaphor. If you want to combine the beautiful with the productive, its definitely the way to go!

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have been running it in VBox.

Not seeing a reason to be excited about it. Looks like Gnome Fallback with a dock at the bottom. Pantheon, if that's what they're calling the main menu, is the best thing about it. It's clean, simple, fast and beats all the menus out there in my opinion. Other than that, I would lean toward CInnamon if I had to choose between the two (or Gnome Shell). The Cinnamon panel, at least, is configurable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Have been running it in VBox.

Not seeing a reason to be excited about it. Looks like Gnome Fallback with a dock at the bottom. Pantheon, if that's what they're calling the main menu, is the best thing about it. It's clean, simple, fast and beats all the menus out there in my opinion. Other than that, I would lean toward CInnamon if I had to choose between the two (or Gnome Shell). The Cinnamon panel, at least, is configurable.
    It has it own window manager - Gala. Its not GNOME Fallback with a different dressing.

The Slingshot application launcher is like the Unity Dash - its hidden and it has inline search and you can view all installed applications either alphabetically or in set categories. The Plank dock - you can drop and drag your favorite applications there to lock them to the dock for immediate launch. I would say this is the closest thing Linux has to Mac OSX. It has the looks and user friendliness of the Acqua Shell on OSX. Either you will love this approach to computing or you will hate it. As a Macbuntu, nothing out there beats it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    It has it own window manager - Gala. Its not GNOME Fallback with a different dressing.
    Right. I know that. But it still looks like Gnome Fallback with a dock. That's all I'm saying. Seems like an awful lot of effort to make it look like something I could cook up in under a minute.

The Slingshot application launcher is like the Unity Dash - its hidden and it has inline search and you can view all installed applications either alphabetically or in set categories. The Plank dock - you can drop and drag your favorite applications there to lock them to the dock for immediate launch. I would say this is the closest thing Linux has to Mac OSX. It has the looks and user friendliness of the Acqua Shell on OSX. Either you will love this approach to computing or you will hate it. As a Macbuntu, nothing out there beats it.
    Yeah, Slingshot is cool, but the dock is nothing special. That said, I *do* kinda' like it overall. It's clean and simple. How configurable is the panel? I don't notice that one can do all that much with it.

Beans

Right. I know that. But it still looks like Gnome Fallback with a dock. That's all I'm saying. Seems like an awful lot of effort to make it look like something I could cook up in under a minute.

Yeah, Slingshot is cool, but the dock is nothing special. That said, I *do* kinda' like it overall. It's clean and simple. How configurable is the panel? I don't notice that one can do all that much with it.
    The panel? You can make your real name show up and you can install Ubuntu supported indicators for the weather, updates, Skype, etc. The Pantheon wingpanel is not all that different from Ubuntu's top menu panel which carries out many of the same features.

As an os, eOS is simple by design. It may be too simple for power users but then computing is - or should be - about getting back to the basics.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, Slingshot is cool, but the dock is nothing special.
    It's got nothing to do with me.

I'm using/testing it full time on my laptop right now. I like it. A few problems but that's par for the course.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    It's got nothing to do with me.

I'm using/testing it full time on my laptop right now. I like it. A few problems but that's par for the course.
    I see what you did there >.>

I am proud of myself... I didn't directly go and download and install eOS as my only OS after getting home from night shift. I am being patient (boring).

Beans

I tried it out at work today on a USB stick.

It's a very promising release. You can see the Elementary team's care and attention to detail everywhere. Aside from the attractive, clean OSX-inspired look, what most impressed me about the beta was how responsive it felt. They've done a really, really nice job with their lightweight applications and tuning the window manager so everything feels very fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The panel? The Pantheon wingpanel is not all that different from Ubuntu's top menu panel which carries out many of the same features.
    That's my point. Like Ubuntu's top panel, it's not that configurable. What I'd like is something more like XFCE, KDE, or Cinnamon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would love to be able to reduce the height of Wingpanel. It seems too big for 9 pt text. It's the only thing so far that I haven't been able to customize.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast