Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 and virtual box?

Beans

Question Ubuntu 12.10 and virtual box - Windows Host

HI all so here is my system specs before virtual box and Ubuntu 12.10 i had a question going off my system specs how much video ram and how much memory and processor cores can i safely give Ubuntu without slowing down windows behind it. system specs are as followed.

I have a Alienware X51 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    I have 2 video cards as this is a Optimus machine no its not a laptop its a small form factor PC my in built video card is a Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 <---- i don't use this never have. I use the dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555 1 GB video card. and I have 8 GIGS ram.

Please let me know how much stuff i can safely give my virtual machine without compromising my windows 7 performance thanks all.
    Last edited by ytkuser12; November 15th, 2012 at 09:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 and virtual box?

Hi ,
    VirtualBox has this option. Generally you can use almost the half , eg: memory , cpu(s) ... etc .
    If something exceeds the suggested values , then VB will inform you with a red-orange message. (that you will slow down your system)

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    Hi ,
    VirtualBox has this option. Generally you can use almost the half , eg: memory , cpu(s) ... etc .
    If something exceeds the suggested values , then VB will inform you with a red-orange message. (that you will slow down your system)

Thanks
    ok so i can give like 2 cpus and would 1 gig ram work or should i give it 2. now on video memory what is satisfactory to give Ubuntu.
    also i havent installed it yet virtual box but should i install all the stuff it wants me to install. I also had seen people having issues with resizing the screen i have a native HD screen that dose. 1920x1080 will i get ubuntu that high? is there any special stuff i need to do to V-box?.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ytkuser12 View Post
    ok so i can give like 2 cpus and would 1 gig ram work or should i give it 2. now on video memory what is satisfactory to give Ubuntu.
    also i havent installed it yet virtual box but should i install all the stuff it wants me to install. I also had seen people having issues with resizing the screen i have a native HD screen that dose. 1920x1080 will i get ubuntu that high? is there any special stuff i need to do to V-box?.
    If you have not already install vbox then i would suggest installation of the current version directly from virtualbox repository by following their easy to follow steps.
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

They have not added the quantal repository on that page but it exists so use quantal as your platform name in the source url.

As far the screen resolution, USB access and other useful stuff you shall also manually download the guest extenssion pack from
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
    and install it through vbox preference settings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pkadeel View Post
    If you have not already install vbox then i would suggest installation of the current version directly from virtualbox repository by following their easy to follow steps.
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

They have not added the quantal repository on that page but it exists so use quantal as your platform name in the source url.

As far the screen resolution, USB access and other useful stuff you shall also manually download the guest extenssion pack from
    and install it through vbox preference settings.
    UM i'm on windows 7 the link you posted to is for linux i need the windows 7 vbox to install linux inside it. also what is quantal repository? and i dont see quest extenssions on there? is that something i need to search for inside v-box?

Beans

ok i found the extension pack there but still not sure what this other quantal repository is i cant find it. anyhow i think i have all i need will try it in a few min.

Beans

ok i found the extension pack there but still not sure what this other quantal repository is i cant find it. anyhow i think i have all i need will try it in a few min.
    I misread the OP due to its title "Ubuntu 12.10 and virtual box"

If host is windows 7 then forget about quantal repository
    windows installers are on main download page. Choose your architecture 32bit or 64 bit

Extenssion pack is same for both linux and windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Give to video memory all the MBs . I think the maximum value is 128MB.

When you install VB , you have to install the Guest Additions as well , for full-screen support and some other stuff.

Extension pack is not needed , but you can install it if (for example) you want USB 2.0 Support.

Please change your title (edit the first post) to a more accurate , eg : "Ubuntu 12.10 and virtual box - Windows Host" .

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    Give to video memory all the MBs . I think the maximum value is 128MB.

When you install VB , you have to install the Guest Additions as well , for full-screen support and some other stuff.

Extension pack is not needed , but you can install it if (for example) you want USB 2.0 Support.

Please change your title (edit the first post) to a more accurate , eg : "Ubuntu 12.10 and virtual box - Windows Host" .

Thanks
    ok are the quest additions included in virtual box? or do i need to do a command once inside ubuntu?

Beans
    ok i changed my heading but its not changing in the forum not sure why. also i forgot one important thing should i use 64 bit ubuntu or 32 bit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast