Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies Made After 2005 That Don't Suck

Beans

Movies Made After 2005 That Don't Suck

If you don't care to read about what I like or don't like in movies, skip this thread.

Responding to the "Favourite Movies" thread, I realized that I have seen very few good movies that have been made recently. Can you recommend some?

Of course, everyone has different tastes, and I'm a bit of an enigma regarding movies as I hate some very popular ones and love some very unpopular ones, but some examples of what I like and don't like...

Some Favorite Good Movies...
    Touch Of Evil, Blade Runner, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Empire Strikes Back, Alien (and the first sequel), Seven Samurai, Frenzy, The Silence of the Lambs, Taxi Driver, Se7en, The Matrix, Twelve Monkeys, Finding Nemo, The Big Lebowski, The Seventh Seal, Snatch, Serpico, The Killing Fields, Murder on the Orient Express (1974), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Tampopo, The Wizard of Oz (though it scared the crap out of me as a kid. Whoever started to market it as a children's movie should be shot)

Some Favorite Questionable Movies...
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, The Good The Bad The Ugly and most of Clint Eastwood's other work, Animal House, My Name Is Nobody, 2010, Blue Velvet, Total Recall, The Terminator (and the first sequel), Dune, Game of Death

Some Favorite Bad Movies...
    The Omega Man, The Eiger Sanction, Enter the Dragon, The Man with the Golden Gun, The Evil Dead trilogy, Drunken Master II, Hellraiser II, almost any Godzilla movie except for the one where they make the freaking monster into an iguana.

Movies Everyone Loves That I Hate Or Am Indifferent To...
    O' Brother Where Art Thou, A Christmas Story, A Princess Bride, The Godfather, Brazil (though I should probably try and suffer through it a second time), The Shawshank Redemption (yeah, it's good, but the pacing is sooooo slow, probably intentionally to mirror the experience of prison, not what I want in a movie, Tim Robbins can't act his way out of a paper bag and it's really a remake of Escape from Alcatraz starring Clint Eastwood), Memento (meh).

My opinions of some recent movies...
    Gran Torino was great, difficult but great. Clash of the Titans I found to be surprisingly entertaining. I loved Despicable Me (great characters, great soundtrack, really great use of color) and was very disappointed by Toy Story III (disturbing story, annoying characters, hyper realism didn't help the story much). I tried to watch Sherlock Holmes twice and couldn't get through the first half hour. Same for Inception. I enjoyed The Social Network. I really enjoyed Wanted. The young actor who starred in Wanted was awesome in The Last King of Scotland. Kung Fu Panda was awesome, even if I do find Jack Black to be incredibly annoying at this point, how he got cast in the King Kong remake, I'll never know). I caught a film on TV last night called The Lookout and was pretty riveted to it.

I pretty much guarantee you I won't enjoy anything starring Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler.

Hit me with whacha got. Thanks.

-edit- Oh yeah, I haven't enjoyed a 3D movie yet, I haven't seen Avatar and don't think I want to. I'll admit I'm a sucker for a good romantic comedy like Sleepless in Seattle or Working Girl.
    Last edited by hhh; September 4th, 2011 at 12:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Movies Made After 2005 That Don't Suck

Iron Man and the Batman ones?

The good, the bad, the ugly in questionable?

Why?
    Esos son mis 2 centavos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

After 2005?

The only one that comes to my mind is Inception. You really should give it a second try. It is freaking awesome. Best movie since Matrix.

I also recommend The Triangle, which is actually a miniseries about the Bermuda Triangle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1399683/

Only movie I really liked recently (though I don't go see movies a lot nowadays).

EDIT: Also I don't want to pull a :hipster: but most people here apparently don't look beyond high-budget blockbusters, that's very sad.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; August 25th, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Leon: The professional

Leon: The professional trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns4vh_xAn98

Beans
    Hidden!

henry poole
    middle men

(both with luke wilson, lol)

the dog problem

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    Leon: The professional

Leon: The professional trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns4vh_xAn98
    Looks cool... Natalie Portman's film debut... but this didn't come out after 2005... (1994)

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Since you're open to the kid stuff, I'd strongly recommend Rango. It's on the Pixar to Dreamworks spectrum, in terms of writing style, and very clever. I enjoyed it more than most Pixar movies that weren't Wall-E.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Pixar has made some excellent movies on both sides of 2005.

And Ponyo is delightful except for its ending.

Beans

@jesus, I saw both Iron Mans, I loved the first one. Second one, meh. I loved loved loved Batman Begins, Christian Bale growling through The Dark Knight really, really annoyed me and I thought the plot was a mess. I'll have to watch it again, Heath Ledger really was as spectacular in it as everyone said. I also forgot that I saw the Star Trek reboot and thought it was spectacular.

Good Bad Ugly is questionable because it's a low budget spaghetti western with mostly Italian actors dubbed in English. It's also one of my favorite movies of all time, Eli Wallach is just amazing in it.

@lovinglinux, I will try Inception again. I know I just have to get past that haklf hour mark, but gawd those first thirty drag.

@Bachstelze, never heard of it. Thanks much for the recommendation, I'll definitely check it out in the next week and give you my feedback.

@Gremlinzzz, lol, check the thread title, Léon came out in 1994! I loved it though, a really good movie. I think Luc Besson is just great, his small part in La Femme Nikita practically made the film. Other movies I liked him in were Ronin, which I forgot to mention is one of my faves, and The Big Blue.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'm heading out to see a friend but will check back tomorrow. Cheers.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast