Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 12.04 Security updates to *buntu core support period

Beans

Lubuntu 12.04 Security updates to *buntu core support period

So I have pretty much scavenged the internet to find a precise answer to my question regarding Lubuntu 12.04, which is: Does Lubuntu 12.04 still get security updates and patches to the *Buntu Core 12.04 that it is made up of, for a 5 years support period?

I have read the Lubuntu 12.04 official documentation so please refrain from quoting the same thing as an answer, because I am well, not stupid.

I derived my question based on the official Lubuntu 12.04 documentation which was: that Lubuntu 12.04 uses the 'Same Core system'.

So although lubuntu 12.04 is not designated as an LTS, does the 18 months support cover the LXDE and also include the *buntu 12.04 core?

Morover If i did a minimal install of *buntu 12.04 and then only installed LXDE & openbox, wouldn't I just literally have Lubuntu 12.04 all over again? Because the minimal install of *buntu 12.04 is an LTS product

I am at odds now, I find Lubuntu 12.04 just <snip> amazing, in terms of everything. I've used ubuntu 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04, and however nice they were, I've come to pretty much hate gnome & kde in terms of resource utilization.
    Last edited by cariboo; November 15th, 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: removed implied profanity

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Lubuntu 12.04 Security updates to *buntu core support period

Today, the update manager offered to install the linux-generic 3.2.0.33.36 together with some other updates on my 12.04 laptop so I can say the core system will be updated in the same was as Ubuntu 12.04.
    If you want to keep LXDE components updated, you can add this ppa:
    https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-dev/+...filter=precise
    Even artwork ppa is available:
    https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-art/+...filter=precise
    So you can have the look and feel of the 12.10 on 12.04.

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply, but that doesn't answer my question, considering lubuntu 12.04 is still within its 18 months support, so any updates/upgrades is covered.

I think this question would be better suited for anyone on the official Lubuntu side of things.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by elzerodeslayer View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, but that doesn't answer my question, considering lubuntu 12.04 is still within its 18 months support, so any updates/upgrades is covered.

I think this question would be better suited for anyone on the official Lubuntu side of things.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

"Support" means support from others, and Lubuntu team only promises 18 months.
    You can of course use out-of-support hardware under your own support; it won't self-destruct or burst into flames on its expiration date.

Beans

@snowpine: Alright so are you basically saying that the Core *buntu system that Lubuntu 12.04 is made up will not receive core system update after 18 months, because the Lubuntu team effectively is responsible for it? Additionally "out of support hardware"?, ok, my primary question im re-enforcing is whether lubuntu 12.04 stops getting its Core system and security updates...

@CharlesA: I'm guessing that you clearly have problems understanding my question....
    Last edited by elzerodeslayer; November 15th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elzerodeslayer View Post
    @snowpine: Alright so are you basically saying that the Core *buntu system that Lubuntu 12.04 is made up will not receive core system update after 18 months, because the Lubuntu team effectively is responsible for it?
    I've never read that anywhere and it would be news to me. (But I am not a project insider, just some internet guy )

Beans

@snowpine: lol no worries, I really like Lubuntu 12.04, and if per chance it does receive the core system and security updates that the LTS versions do, then I plan on sticking with it for a long time. Considering I spent like nearly 3 days configuring system files and open box. It's really funny how my entire system now which has all the stuff I'll ever need just uses 253 Mb of RAM when it idles, compared to like 2Gb in my windows 7...

I'm made a decision that if Lubuntu doesn't get those updates, I'ma go back to Arch linux....I wouldn't mind spending a few days doing it all over again...just cause I really like its rolling-release.

Beans

Strange to say in the same post that you like Arch's rolling release yet plan to stick with 12.04 for 5 years... but if it makes you feel better, my understanding of the situation is the same as yours: Lubuntu uses the same software repositories as all the other 'Buntus, so you will get security updates for your kernel and applications for 60 months. What you will not get is support from the Lubuntu team beyond 18 months.

Beans

@snowpine: Oh my likes about the Arch rolling release, was in terms of system and security updates. It's just really useful to not have to worry about upgrading the distro to enjoy new features or wait for support from specific teams in the community like Ubuntu. Plus from my experience, any issue I get during the rolling-updates happens to be a fraction of the time I have wasted facing issues when upgrading Ubuntu (beacuse clean-installs are a pain in the *** now). But truth be known, I'm only looking at this whole thing in terms of a 5 year line (probably the remaining life or less of my laptop, before I upgrade it to something more powerful).

Curiously you did mention something interesting...What support does the Lubuntu team provide specifically towards Lubuntu? Considering if one installs LXDE on Ubuntu 12.04 and uses that as a default DE, its ideally a Lubuntu system, but then with that, said person would be receiving the LTS for the Ubuntu 12.04 system regardless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast