Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there anyone who can record using M-Audio Fastrak Pro?

Beans

Re: Is there anyone who can record using M-Audio Fastrak Pro?

I think you are right: this looks to be a problem in ardour or jack.
    Yes, i did. I'm trying to record 2 mono tracks: voice and guitar.
    In ardour i have 2 tracks that i imported and 2 new tracks i added and armed for recording.
    In the ardour mixer window i assigned to these new tracks the input: system:capture_1 in one track and system:capture_2 in the other.
    In jack i checked the connections and everything seems to be ok (for what i can understand).
    Capture_1 connects to audio1/in1
    Capture_2 connects to audio2/in1
    Audio1/out1 connects to master/in1 (Audio1/out2 to master/in2)
    master/out 1 and 2 connect to playback_1 and _2.
    At my eyes everything is well connected, but i guess it is not so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hm, that's weird. Everything seems right to me.

Is your card always turned on? If yes - restart it. A longshot...

You could try a live-version of "Av Linux" http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

Beans

Hi, mr. SwedO,
    my pc went sleeping during a short my absence and when i came back jack crashed.
    (I've read in the forum that such a things happened to other persons too).
    Well, i quit jack and ardour and turned off the sound card. Immediately the machine freezed and no way to close the system. So i turned it off.
    When restarting (while audio card off), after the bios, i got a kind of windows "blue screen" with a different color. So i had to turn off again.
    At the next boot i saw on the screen something like the following "HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for 'dev/sdc' " (maybe i missed something in the last part of the message).
    By the way: as i've never used the internal sound card i deactivated it in the bios, so in this boot there were no sound card in the system. Could this create a problem?
    Finally i tried to record, but nothing has changed.
    I'm checking the link to AV Linux that you sent.
    Thank you a lot.

Beans

Well, i tested AVlinux and everything is OK. I can play and i can record with Fast Track Pro.
    I did not install AVlinux, i just boot it from CD.
    Now, if someone is still reading this thread, the easy solution of the problem is to say that ubuntu studio can t work as well as AVlinux, but i am not sure about that.

I should like to understand what, in QjackCtl, server means and what is the difference between Jackd, jackstart, Jackdmp etc.
    I write this because i think that, when i use ubuntu studio, I save a Jack setup somewhere when i close, but i don t get it again on the next start. This can t happen in AVlinux because it stays on a CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I should like to understand what, in QjackCtl, server means and what is the difference between Jackd, jackstart, Jackdmp etc.
    JACK is a sound server, that is what server means.
    From the man page:
    jackd - JACK Audio Connection Kit sound server
    jackd is the JACK audio server daemon, a low-latency audio server.
    I dont know what jackstart is, there is no such executable on my system, Jackdmp is another name for JACK2. If you look carefully you can see
    jack d mp = JACK daemon multi-processor
    but the actual daemon name is the same for JACK1 and JACK2 = jackd
    the easy solution of the problem is to say that ubuntu studio can t work as well as AVlinux,
    Yes, AVlinux performes better than Ubuntu studio. It's great for laptops and older desktops. But, you can probably optimise US to work as AVl.
    For starters lighter DE, lesser services, JACK1, 32bit.
    Also AVl uses different kernel than US, maybe there are some optimisations in there too.

Beans

Thank you mr. jejeman.
    For my purposes and, overall, for my very old machine AVl is good enough to let XP die, which is my goal.
    So thanks again to all of you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi! Much, much later, I find this thread. I recorded my entire first album on exactly this device, under Ubuntu, in Ardour+Jack. So, yeah, it can be done!

( http://music.crimeandtheforcesofevil.com if you're curious - **** Tracy Must Die. Which I see the forum censors because it doesn't know that's a _name_. Duck Tracy, only an I, not a U. Anyway, I play a lot of instruments, it's all multitracked.)

While I'm not using it regularly anymore, I have a working jackd config file for this device if you want it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12