Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: want to coexist Ubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 12.10

Beans

want to coexist Ubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 12.10

Hi there, I've installed Ubuntu 12.10, but I now want to install Lubuntu side by side without removing Ubuntu partition.

1, Can the default Linux Swap partition be shared?
    2, I knew about partition manager in Windows environment. If my hdd space is scarce, is it ok to shrink Ubuntu Ext4 partition for Lubuntu?
    3, How to install Lubuntu after having installed Ubuntu?
    4, But what boot manager do I need to install for this to work?
    5, I knew about multiple partitions and multiple boot for Windows, but I'm just new to Linux.

Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: want to coexist Ubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 12.10

1. Yes, the swap can be shared.
    2. Don't use windows tools to shrink linux partitions. If you do have to shrink it, first make a full backup of all important data, then use the ubuntu live cd to boot into live mode and use Gparted to shrink it.
    3. You can install lubuntu using the auto methods, or manually which I always prefer and recommend. Manually you can make sure you tell it to use the existing swap, if it does it automatically I'm not sure whether it will create new swap into the unallocated space or not.
    4. Lubuntu will install its own grub2 but if you prefer to use grub2 from ubuntu, you can boot ubuntu once after the lubuntu installation is finished, and install its grub2 back to the MBR.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Post Re: want to coexist Ubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 12.10

If you simply want to have Lubuntu and Ubuntu desktop managers as an option then you can pop into the software centre and install Lubuntu-desktop which will give you the choice of switching between Unity or Lubuntu at the login prompt...

If on the other hand you want separate installations then shrinking your ext4 partition and running Lubuntu live cd will let you install it alongside your standard Ubuntu installation and edit the grub menu to list them both on boot... They will share swap...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TenPlus1 View Post
    If you simply want to have Lubuntu and Ubuntu desktop managers as an option then you can pop into the software centre and install Lubuntu-desktop which will give you the choice of switching between Unity or Lubuntu at the login prompt...

If on the other hand you want separate installations then shrinking your ext4 partition and running Lubuntu live cd will let you install it alongside your standard Ubuntu installation and edit the grub menu to list them both on boot... They will share swap...
    I want to speed up my netbook using Lubuntu. Will the Lubuntu-desktop make Ubuntu run faster?

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Post Re: want to coexist Ubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 12.10

Definitely... Installing Lubuntu-desktop and switching to that on the login screen will have you using OpenBox which is a very light window manager indeed... Programs will load and operate quicker on screen, especially not having to use 3d-effects like Unity...
    Last edited by TenPlus1; November 15th, 2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Thanks darkod and TenPlus1 for the explanations. I've tried to install the lubuntu-desktop but failed with error. I'm now trying to install Lubuntu alternate from scratch for the whole small ssd, but I met errors again... Still struggling in the complicated installation...

Beans
    Distro

The installation is not complicated at all, especially if you want to install on the whole disk. You can use the auto method that offers to erase and use the whole disk.

The manual install does require that you create the partitions yourself but i wouldn't call that complicated at all. You should know how to create partitions anyway if you want to optimize how you use your disk and plan it good.

Where are you getting stuck?
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Many errors during installation. At the first boot, logo comes, but screen is black afterwards. Installation is just failed anyway. Some say Lubuntu need user to mount point after installation. I now may consider to install Xubuntu instead.

Beans
    Distro

If there are errors during install you might have a bad cd (or bad image file that you used to burn the cd), or hardware issues with your hdd.

With many errors during install of course you can't expect it to work afterwards, it will not be installed successfully.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

I'm now trying Xubuntu 12.10. See if it works... Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast