Thread: Adding swap space to my new install

Beans

Adding swap space to my new install

To preface this, I would say that I am a Ubuntu newb, and have only been using this for fun for a while, never seroiusly got into the workings of the system.

I installed ubuntu 12.04.1 32 from a live cd to my 64 GB USB Drive that I was not using. When I installed, I wasn't sure what to do about SWAP so i decided to install it without any. I want to add swap now.

So far what I did was
    -Shrink the NTFS windows installation on the local hard drive
    -created a 6 GiB SWAP partition

Now I have no idea what to do next,
    Please help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Adding swap space to my new install

have a look at this:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/...dd-swap-space/

let us know how it goes
    What keeps the world in chains but your beliefs?
    And what can save the world except your Self?
    Belief is powerful indeed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

6GB swap is a lot. 4GB is really teh max you'd need unless you were going to use hibernate a lot and even then I believe the most it would use is about 40% of total RAM. Popular consensus is the more physical RAM you have the less need for swap.

Any hoo, can you confirm how many drives you have? It sounds like two - one with windows and now swap and a second USB with Ubuntu; is that correct?
    If so, swap works so much better on a second drive so bravo for that.

But I'm not sure what you mean by what next? You mean how to get Ubuntu to see the swap? A reinstall without formatting anything will do it, selecting and marking the swap partition.

I'm not 100% sure if Ubuntu will automatically see the swap ona second drive. Maybe someone can confirm that one way or another.

[edit] Ok, you got an answer as I was writing this. Hopefully that will point you int eh right direction.
    Linux is not windows // Ubuntu (Quantal:12.10) Guide
    Use descriptive thread titles // Linux... is... not... windows // OSX... is... not... Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have 4GB or more of RAM you may never use swap unless hibernating or editing video. And if hibernating with dual boot, you need to close many programs down anyway to avoid issues and close files in any shared partitions with Windows.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
    HOWTO: Use swapfile instead of partition and hibernate
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1042946

You actually do not want to use swap as it is at least 10 times slower - hard drive is slower than RAM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I have Ubuntu Installed on a 64GB Flash Drive, and the laptop has one 500GB Internal Hard Drive with Windows 7 Installed on it. I just borrowed a few gigs from that install and created a new partition for swap, but ubuntu does not recognize the swap partition because its on a different drive than the installation (USB)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cokaznrebel View Post
    I have Ubuntu Installed on a 64GB Flash Drive, and the laptop has one 500GB Internal Hard Drive with Windows 7 Installed on it. I just borrowed a few gigs from that install and created a new partition for swap, but ubuntu does not recognize the swap partition because its on a different drive than the installation (USB)
    that large eh?

Create swap if not done already
    Code:
    sudo mkswap /dev/sdxx
    Mount swap
    Code:
    sudo swapon /dev/sdxx
    replace the sdxx with your drive stuff that corresponds to the drive on your laptop when you boot from usb
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by cokaznrebel View Post
    To preface this, I would say that I am a Ubuntu newb, and have only been using this for fun for a while, never seroiusly got into the workings of the system.

I installed ubuntu 12.04.1 32 from a live cd to my 64 GB USB Drive that I was not using. When I installed, I wasn't sure what to do about SWAP so i decided to install it without any. I want to add swap now.

So far what I did was
    -Shrink the NTFS windows installation on the local hard drive
    -created a 6 GiB SWAP partition

Now I have no idea what to do next,
    Please help!
    This is a bad idea. You'll most likely never need that much swap, and possibly won't need any of it at all.