Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to Activate B43 Driver.

Beans

Unable to Activate B43 Driver.

I am positive that my Chipset can use the B43 Driver. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 on Kernel 3.2.0-33. I am currently, unfortunaly running the brcmsmac driver.. When I try to run "modprobe -r brcmsmac bcma" to disable the current wireless driver, it does. But then when i go to replace it with the b43, which i already installed using the fwcutter-installer by typing "modprobe b43" it doesn't do anything. It doesn't work. So, can someone please help me get the b43 driver to work..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Unable to Activate B43 Driver.

I am positive that my Chipset can use the B43 Driver.
    However, maybe it's not the optimum driver. Let's see what the chipset actually is:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4357] (rev 01)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The synaptic package manager says for the b43-installer for the b43 driver:

Installer package for firmware for the b43 driver
    This package installs the firmware needed for usage of the b43 kernel driver.
    Supported chipsets:
    - BCM4306/3
    - BCM4311
    - BCM4318
    - BCM4321
    - BCM4322 (only 14e4:432b)
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans

So, basically, what your saying is that my device is not supported for the fw-cutter, and that I should probably just use Compat-Wireless instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi, kernel 3.1+ supports b43 but I will let my good friend chilli555 help you since he was here first.

Beans

I am accepting help from anyone who has it.. Now my dilemma is that I have the b43 driver working via Compat-Wireless but when I type airmon-ng (a command from aircrack-ng) it says that it is next to the driver that it is [phy 0] can someone explain to me what that it is because if i can get rid of it I think that I should.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I know nothing about aircrack. If that's your objective here, I think there are other better places to ask about it.

The best driver for your device to connect to the internet and do boring things like download mp3s and email Mom is the Broadcom STA driver:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    Reboot.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Do you think that there is a way to disable wlan0 from the network manager but not from like functioning? if that makes sence... For example use the adapter in terminal but not have it be functioning in the background on network manager?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Stoowyguy View Post
    Do you think that there is a way to disable wlan0 from the network manager but not from like functioning? if that makes sence... For example use the adapter in terminal but not have it be functioning in the background on network manager?
    I'm not sure it does make sense. You don't want NM to control it but you want to control it from the command line? Isn't it running and connected in either case?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast