62 38.51%
  • I don't really care about OSS, just what tool is best

14 8.70%
  • I hate OSS but am hanging out on an Ubuntu forum anyway

0 0%
  • Some other view that can't be summed up in a poll

5 3.11%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: How ideological are you about Linux?

Beans

Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by divergex View Post
    Every situation is different; most businesses I have as clients prefer buying at retail. I usually suggest otherwise due to cost savings and other factors but if that's what they prefer, then so be it. I have one client in particular that will only buy Dell computers from the local Staples store. They do not get any special perks from Dell nor Staples. It's just their preference.

As for me, A client asked me to take on a project that needed a fast turnaround, so buying the software (Dreamweaver CS4) at retail was the only option due to time. At that time the software worked fine on XP, but after having certified it on Vista, I upgraded only to find the bug. Adobe acknowledged the bug but never fixed it, and the only solution was to upgrade to CS5.
    Don't you have Wholesalers, OEM Partners, and Business Partners for the likes of IBM, MSFT, Dell, Lenovo etc etc etc in your locale?
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Don't you have Wholesalers, OEM Partners, and Business Partners for the likes of IBM, MSFT, Dell, Lenovo etc etc etc in your locale?
    Of course, and for larger companies, they are definitely the best choice. But for smaller companies of ten or fewer employees, sometimes retail is better. Volume licensing is often not an option for such small groups. It really depends on the situation. I find that most people buy a software version and stick with for years. I have clients still using Microsoft Office 2003 because there is no compelling reason to upgrade.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by divergex View Post
    Of course, and for larger companies, they are definitely the best choice. But for smaller companies of ten or fewer employees, sometimes retail is better. Volume licensing is often not an option for such small groups. It really depends on the situation. I find that most people buy a software version and stick with for years. I have clients still using Microsoft Office 2003 because there is no compelling reason to upgrade.
    We must do it differently here, we have tier structure partners covering SME and Large Corporates, be it 10 seats or 1000 seats none would need to shop retail.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

We must do it differently here, we have tier structure partners covering SME and Large Corporates, be it 10 seats or 1000 seats none would need to shop retail.
    Indeed. The SME market in the U.S. is largely ignored by the major vendors, thus it's where most of my clients come from.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Honestly I'd like to use nothing but OSS tbh, and I will use it if it gets the job done even if its not quite as flashy....

However I will use Proprietary software where I have to, if the OSS wont do the job I need, which unfortunately is in a few areas... but nothing that makes me use windows or mac thankfully at all....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Funnily enough, I feel exactly the same way when I have to use Windows. Just goes to show you ..........
    Indeed. Windows software: inexpensive, functional, malware-free. Pick any two.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

I selected "I support OSS but use a variety of tools". I'd prefer to use OSS when I can (especially XFCE), but I'm gonna use whatever works best for the situation. I've found that taking an RMS stance on OSS is a turn off and can push people away who may be interested in FOSS. It's hard to promote Open Source with a Closed Mind.
    Acer Veriton Net-Top: Dual Core 1.8Ghz Intel Atom
    2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Nvidia ION 2 GPU
    Ubuntu 11.04 64-Bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial
    Funnily enough, I feel exactly the same way when I have to use Windows. Just goes to show you ..........
    I can't say my experience jives with either of y'all's. The only operating system I don't have to bash around a bit to make it do basic things is Android. Things are more likely to just work on Windows, but they're also more likely to come with extra-special are-you-really-really-really-sure dialogues, so it seems like a wash to me. = )

Beans

So I am not ideological, software for me is not a crusade it is a business, it is a business of providing the best solution be Open source or proprietary. Software is also a business in order to make a profit, profit provides jobs, jobs create revenue, revenue creates growth and wealth resulting in a win win situation.
    Market fundamentalism is an ideology.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789