View Poll Results: Ideology and you ?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only use open source software!

    8 4.97%
  • I feel strongly about OSS, but willing to compromise

    72 44.72%
  • I support OSS but use a variety of tools

    62 38.51%
  • I don't really care about OSS, just what tool is best

    14 8.70%
  • I hate OSS but am hanging out on an Ubuntu forum anyway

    0 0%
  • Some other view that can't be summed up in a poll

    5 3.11%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 89

Thread: How ideological are you about Linux?

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Beans
    344
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    One view might be that proprietary software is made for a profit, whereas open source can generate profit or not, as the situation demands.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    30

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    Calling micro-kernels an "ideology" is a bit far-fetched. of course the devil is in the details, but some architectures/techniques make the details a lot simpler to work out. Do we really want to code for Turing machines?
    Micro-kernel is not an ideology. Modular > monolithic is a core value of Unix philosophy, however. The advocacy of micro-kernels, of which there are very few functional examples, requires a philosophical justification as there isn't really a good experiential one.

    And yet advocacy continues; probably because modular is greater than monolithic in the majority of cases.

    Of course, the Linux kernel isn't really as monolithic as it was when the debate took place. Today, the entire hardware side of the kernel is modular and can be dynamically loaded in and out, just like the kernels in major commercial operating systems. Linux, the infamous monolithic kernel, is actually a functional hybrid kernel.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    9

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    In almost all cases I prefer to use OSS. But I often find situations where I have to use proprietary software.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Beans
    456
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    I used to be kind of ideological about it. But, at the end of the day, I need something that actually works. I cant be fiddling around with drivers all day, and despite what some people may want, I cant sit around reading manuals all day either. A lot of times I need something that works the way I expect it to without having to learn anything about the software, and unfortunately, linux majorly fails in this department.
    KDE is the best

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Beans
    13,658
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
    I used to be kind of ideological about it. But, at the end of the day, I need something that actually works. I cant be fiddling around with drivers all day, and despite what some people may want, I cant sit around reading manuals all day either. A lot of times I need something that works the way I expect it to without having to learn anything about the software, and unfortunately, linux majorly fails in this department.
    Funnily enough, I feel exactly the same way when I have to use Windows. Just goes to show you ..........

  6. #76
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Beans
    33
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Linux works well for me. The "ah-ha" moment for me was when I came across bugs in Windows Vista and Adobe Dreamweaver. Both were bugs that should have been fixed, but in both cases the attitude seemed to be to buy the new version. When running a small business and always watching the bottom line, why should I buy a new version of software when the current version already does everything I need?

    I have found the Linux community much more receptive to bug reports, and discovered that for everything I need to do, Linux offers me an appropriate app. The number of distributions is a nice thing also, as whatever you may need is usually covered.

    Finally, and perhaps most important, I can use an app, discover its value, and reward the developers appropriately. Good luck trying to return a $400 piece of software to a retail store if it doesn't work out for you.

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Beans
    734

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by divergex View Post
    Linux works well for me. The "ah-ha" moment for me was when I came across bugs in Windows Vista and Adobe Dreamweaver. Both were bugs that should have been fixed, but in both cases the attitude seemed to be to buy the new version. When running a small business and always watching the bottom line, why should I buy a new version of software when the current version already does everything I need?

    I have found the Linux community much more receptive to bug reports, and discovered that for everything I need to do, Linux offers me an appropriate app. The number of distributions is a nice thing also, as whatever you may need is usually covered.

    Finally, and perhaps most important, I can use an app, discover its value, and reward the developers appropriately. Good luck trying to return a $400 piece of software to a retail store if it doesn't work out for you.
    also anyone can view the source code meaning if i run into a problem and am skilled enough i can fix it for myself if the developer can't. i can also release it as a new app and call it something else if the maintainer refuses to include bug fix upstream. try doing that with windows. hey microsoft you have bug abc that is caused by def and can be fixed by jkl.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by divergex View Post
    Linux works well for me. The "ah-ha" moment for me was when I came across bugs in Windows Vista and Adobe Dreamweaver. Both were bugs that should have been fixed, but in both cases the attitude seemed to be to buy the new version. When running a small business and always watching the bottom line, why should I buy a new version of software when the current version already does everything I need?

    I have found the Linux community much more receptive to bug reports, and discovered that for everything I need to do, Linux offers me an appropriate app. The number of distributions is a nice thing also, as whatever you may need is usually covered.

    Finally, and perhaps most important, I can use an app, discover its value, and reward the developers appropriately. Good luck trying to return a $400 piece of software to a retail store if it doesn't work out for you.
    Couple of things...... ,

    for a business one would not be buying software from retail.

    Also trial versions are available for most major business packages and can also be negotiated with your provider. Also any business installation would only (should only) be done after reading white papers, developing a implementation plan that includes such basics as rigorous testing, training, documenting, support planning and of course disaster recovery and roll back . With this risk mitigation can be done and problems detected and fixed or plans changed.
    This account is not active.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    also anyone can view the source code meaning if i run into a problem and am skilled enough i can fix it for myself if the developer can't. i can also release it as a new app and call it something else if the maintainer refuses to include bug fix upstream. try doing that with windows. hey microsoft you have bug abc that is caused by def and can be fixed by jkl.
    Unless the business does their own inhouse Application Development etc being able to see the source code is largely irrelevant.
    This account is not active.

  10. #80
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Beans
    33
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Couple of things...... ,

    for a business one would not be buying software from retail.

    Also trial versions are available for most major business packages and can also be negotiated with your provider. Also any business installation would only (should only) be done after reading white papers, developing a implementation plan that includes such basics as rigorous testing, training, documenting, support planning and of course disaster recovery and roll back . With this risk mitigation can be done and problems detected and fixed or plans changed.
    Every situation is different; most businesses I have as clients prefer buying at retail. I usually suggest otherwise due to cost savings and other factors but if that's what they prefer, then so be it. I have one client in particular that will only buy Dell computers from the local Staples store. They do not get any special perks from Dell nor Staples. It's just their preference.

    As for me, A client asked me to take on a project that needed a fast turnaround, so buying the software (Dreamweaver CS4) at retail was the only option due to time. At that time the software worked fine on XP, but after having certified it on Vista, I upgraded only to find the bug. Adobe acknowledged the bug but never fixed it, and the only solution was to upgrade to CS5.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •