View Poll Results: Ideology and you ?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only use open source software!

    8 4.97%
  • I feel strongly about OSS, but willing to compromise

    72 44.72%
  • I support OSS but use a variety of tools

    62 38.51%
  • I don't really care about OSS, just what tool is best

    14 8.70%
  • I hate OSS but am hanging out on an Ubuntu forum anyway

    0 0%
  • Some other view that can't be summed up in a poll

    5 3.11%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 89

Thread: How ideological are you about Linux?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    China
    Beans
    995
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    I have spent most of my adult life working in the third world hopefully improving the life opportunities of many young people and we do get passionate about things.

    Am I passionate about Civil Defence?, do I think Red cross is a worthy crusade? Yes, they are both something I am passionate about and give energy to, they have real life outcomes for people in real need.
    I happen to be passionate about open-source because I believe it can have real life outcomes for people in real need. I believe that the world needs free software and this can and will make a difference to the lives of real people.

    post edit

    Perhaps I can give an example.

    I helped a friend setting up a system for a mission (St Katherines I think.) They had been given 30 odd PCs running Windows XP. Having no network etc the inevitable happened and the PCs were full of viruses and a complete mess. We set-up a FreeBSD server openldap nfs squid etc with Ubuntu workstations my friend can administer the server from Maseru over ssh and the the system has been working well for a three years.

    The alternative as MS refuse to give educational licences in Lesotho would have been pirated Windows and a mess. Here is free software making a real difference to peoples lives. Open-source needs advocates and defending
    Last edited by Gone fishing; November 17th, 2012 at 06:49 AM.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    29

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    If this were facebook, I would like the above post a bazillion times.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone fishing View Post
    I have spent most of my adult life working in the third world hopefully improving the life opportunities of many young people and we do get passionate about things.



    I happen to be passionate about open-source because I believe it can have real life outcomes for people in real need. I believe that the world needs free software and this can and will make a difference to the lives of real people.

    post edit

    Perhaps I can give an example.

    I helped a friend setting up a system for a mission (St Katherines I think.) They had been given 30 odd PCs running Windows XP. Having no network etc the inevitable happened and the PCs were full of viruses and a complete mess. We set-up a FreeBSD server openldap nfs squid etc with Ubuntu workstations my friend can administer the server from Maseru over ssh and the the system has been working well for a three years.

    The alternative as MS refuse to give educational licences in Lesotho would have been pirated Windows and a mess. Here is free software making a real difference to peoples lives. Open-source needs advocates and defending
    People here that know me,know what I have done.
    This account is not active.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    China
    Beans
    995
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    You have done nothing and I personally appreciate the time and effort obviously put into the forums making sure the atmosphere is pleasant. Nevertheless I think when you post you have authority – earned authority. However I think your position on open-source, free software and liberty issues in IT is wrong as far as I understand it.

    I believe that these things you are disinterested in, I suspect you feel that I am a young (if only) naïve idealist or busy body. Possibly we are both wrong and I do apologise if I have offended you personally – I just think you are wrong this stuff is important.
    Last edited by Gone fishing; November 17th, 2012 at 08:32 AM.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Entropy
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Computers in general are classify as generative systems, but the more proprietary software and/or hardware you use, then the less generative they become, making then almost non-generative.

    Proprietary software and/or hardware in it self are non-generative and therefor hinder innovation. There intended use is set and can´t be modify or redirect in any way, at least by the user.

    Therefor, in order for the community to evolve and thrive, it most have the freedom to do so, which is achievable only if free software is use, allowing the path toward development.

    Gnu/Linux-libre contrary to others OS is a tool, that in the IT world allow the application and flow of new ideas, promoting in this way it´s evolution.

    In contrast, proprietary software and/or hardware and the craziness of pattens, lock down creativity and highjack ideas.

    In conclusion, if we want to amputate the will to innovate, then proprietary is the road to follow.

    Remember that supply and demand are interrelated, so you can chose if as a community we demand more supply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Christianson View Post
    Software is a tool. It's just that if you can't see the code, you're never sure if it's your tool or somebody else's.
    In principle I agree with this statement, even thou in my view it still hinder innovation.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone fishing View Post
    You have done nothing and I personally appreciate the time and effort obviously put into the forums making sure the atmosphere is pleasant. Nevertheless I think when you post you have authority – earned authority. However I think your position on open-source, free software and liberty in software is wrong as far as I understand it.

    I believe that these things you are disinterested in, I suspect you feel that I am a young (if only) naïve idealist or busy body. Possibly we are both wrong and I do apologise if I have offended you personally – I just think you are wrong this stuff is important.
    Again you have me wrong, I have been involved with ubuntu since day one, I have been involved with Open Source since the early 90's. I have provided a lot of resources to community projects with the assistance of Open Source products. I simply do not see Open Source in it's self a crusade.

    I am who I am today because of the work I have done and not what Open Source has done.

    A saying we have here in New Zealand is very important to me....

    He aha te mea nui o te ao? He tangata! He tangata! He tangata!.......what is the greatest thing on earth? 'Tis people! 'Tis people! 'Tis people!
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; November 17th, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
    This account is not active.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    China
    Beans
    995
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    He aha te mea nui o te ao? He tangata! He tangata! He tangata!.......what is the greatest thing on earth? 'Tis people! 'Tis people! 'Tis people!
    Not unlike the Zulu

    umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

    I am who I am today because of the work I have done and not what Open Source has done.
    That makes sense or why would you put the effort you obviously do put in.

    OK Lets then leave it agreeing to disagree or even possibly agreeing, I kind of agree about the crusade but....
    Last edited by Gone fishing; November 17th, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    6,022

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone fishing View Post
    umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu
    Translation: A person is a person because of people.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    WI USA
    Beans
    10,247
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    I have to use the tools provided at work and school and that currently doesn't include Linux. None of my employers have allowed the use of software outside of what they provide.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

    Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    29

    Re: How ideological are you about Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    People here that know me,know what I have done.
    He's passionate about FOSS because it helps people. What does this have to do with that?
    Last edited by Aaron Christianson; November 18th, 2012 at 06:00 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •