Thread: OpenVPN VPN Client

Beans

OpenVPN VPN Client

I have set up a simple Openvpn server in the amazon cloud, I have used this several times on my other Liunx box but with my Ubuntu 12.04 I am getting an odd error.

I have a static key and in my client.conf I have a line:

Code:
    secret /etc/openvpn/static.key
    that key was generated on the server itself and copied over via sftp and has been chmod to 600

While using the networkmanager, ubuntu insists to use a username password instead of reading the freaking static key and giving me an Error of " Authentication Failed"
    I can ping the remotes ip address set up in the nat just fine as well.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: OpenVPN VPN Client

If you are using Network Nanager, why are you editing an OpenVPN conf file? Do one or the other: use Network Manager to setup your OpenVPN connection (and let it find/use the static key file) or use a conf file and connect to the VPN manually. If using Network Manager, use the Static Key authentication (instead of "Password" or "Certificates (TLS)").

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    If you are using Network Nanager, why are you editing an OpenVPN conf file? Do one or the other: use Network Manager to setup your OpenVPN connection (and let it find/use the static key file) or use a conf file and connect to the VPN manually. If using Network Manager, use the Static Key authentication (instead of "Password" or "Certificates (TLS)").
    The reason I created the conf file is because within the network manager I cannot see anywhere to enter a static key file, here is my options:

Beans

Install the OpenVPN Network Manager plugin so Network Manager can work directly with OpenVPN configurations.

I have it installed in 10.04 LTS - it's called network-manager-openvpn . Haven't used it in 12.04 LTS but it works great for me.