Thread: wubi installation running slowly and freezing

Beans

wubi installation running slowly and freezing

I recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 from my windows 7 using wubi. I have all the drivers installed correctly (at least i think) and nothing will completely fail to run. However when I try to run a program and install something at the same time, there are mini freezes every few seconds. It will even stop playing music. I have looked at weather it's from using wubi installer, but nobody else seems to be having this problem. It seems like the cpu is running a lot higher than it should be when using the hard drive.

computer specs:
    i5-3450 3.1 GHz (4 cores 4 threads)
    8 GB ram
    biostar TZ77B mobo
    and the hard drive is 500 GB western digital.

note: the windows os is installed on a 60 gb ssd and the ubuntu os is installed on the data hard drive listed above with plenty of space available.

Beans

Re: wubi installation running slowly and freezing

Did you try reinstall-repair of the installation?
    Also, I would be concerned about your ONLY 8Gb RAM for that type of system that has to support the installation.

Beans

Re: wubi installation running slowly and freezing

I havent tried re-installing or repairing, but I thought of something. If the virtual disk is variably sized could that make it run slower when it's expanding?

Also, 8 GB is far more than enough for the vast majority of games, let alone just installing and copying files. But what exactly do you mean that type of system? It's just my desktop computer, which isnt a server or anything.

Also I checked the windows defrag tool and the entire hard drive is only fragmented 3%. I have a schedule set up. So it can't be that.

My guess is the virtual disk is slowing things down.