Thread: RAID 1 OS drive "BOOT_DEGRADED=false" not working?

Beans

RAID 1 OS drive "BOOT_DEGRADED=false" not working?

I'm setting up a software RAIDed boot and root desktop install. Originally I chose BOOT_DEGRADED=true during setup. But after talking with people here we wanted to change that. So I followed the instructions on https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...tallation.html, shutdown, disconnected one drive, and booted. It booted just fine to the user selection screen.

mdadm against both /dev/md# entries show a degraded status, but I expected to be stopped at a recovery console. I double checked the setting is in the file /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/mdadm as I'd used
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdadm
    to change the setting and I wasn't sure it was permanent.

Any suggestions? Or is this not a valid setting on a mirrored drive? If so it would be nice if it wasn't available to scare newb's like me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: RAID 1 OS drive "BOOT_DEGRADED=false" not working?

This is just a wild shot, but sometimes after changing mdadm important settings, I've seen suggestions to run:
    sudo update-initramfs

(if I remembered it correctly).

See if that helps to apply the setting not to boot degraded.

Also when disconnecting disks to make a test, make sure they are synced first.

For example, a sync after the first test might not have finished yet, and if you unplug a disk for a second test it might loose the connection with the other disk and get really messed up.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

I just found that my root space is marked degraded even with both drives up. Maybe that is part of the problem too?

Off to search out repair instructions.
    Last edited by OneOfMany07; November 15th, 2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: wasn't swap, was root?!?!?

Beans

Looks like I can't see the recovery console (black screen after disconnecting a drive after updating the initramfs and sync'ing the drives so they were clean). Guessing it'll be better to make a new thread.