Thread: How to scan discs with Gnome Catalog?

Beans

Question How to scan discs with Gnome Catalog?

Hi all

I had used Discs cataloguing software on the Mac and Windows too, so I'm not new to the concept. However I'm a total rookie when it comes to Linux and Gnome Catalog
    Once you have created a new catalog, and a disk inside it (I guess), how do you get Gnome Catalog to perform the actual scanning of the discs?
    I just don't see any button or menu command for it anywhere

Thanks in advance for your help guys

JDL

Beans

Re: How to scan discs with Gnome Catalog?

Well, in case anyone else had this same question...
    Here's how to use it:
    You can create either a catalog or a disk. I suppose normally you would create a catalog first, then you would "scan/read" a disk to save its information to the catalog database.
    What I thought was tricky, for sure not very obvious, was how to tell GC what media (folder, drive, disc, etc) to read. You do this by clicking on the "Show Preferences dialog" button, located at the far right end of the buttons panel. There you select the path GC is going to use to find your media.
    So as to summarize, I would say these would be the steps to use GC:
    1. Create a Catalog (Ctrl+Alt+A)
    2. Select the path for GC to read your media. By using the "Show Preferences dialog" button.
    3. Create a Disk (Ctrl+A) (within the newly created catalog). You would create more disks per catalog, normally. Think of catalogs as folders, they are there to help you organize the disks.
    4. Once done creating catalogs and disks, save your new database.

Have I missed anything feel free to correct my instructions.

JDL

Beans

Hi, I just followed the four steps, to no avail.
    I must be missing something.
    Once the disk is done "scanning", the folder on the left side changes to "no name" and everything scanned seems to be gone. It's all empty. Nothing is saved except some obscure, empty catalogfile.
    What do I need to do to get my disk-catalog?

tia, enopal

Beans

Yes, something seems to be broken. It is very crashy, and although it is obviously scanning selected disks and folders, nothing appears to be saved when it finishes.