Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Samba why is it so recalcitrantly imposible with windows7?

Beans
    Hidden!

Samba why is it so recalcitrantly imposible with windows7?

simply following guides always leads to failures on my home network

like just tried this one
    http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/03/...cise-pangolin/

nothing works with samba and me for a long long time and many ubuntu versions.

How can I share ubuntu files onto a windows 7 PC easily?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Samba why is it so recalcitrantly imposible with windows7?

I'm sorry it doesn't work for you. This is the guide I used when creating the lan for my ubuntu, XP, Win8 machines. Though I had a bit of trouble in the beginning, after I figured out it wanted both the password for the workgroup and then the password for ubuntu, it worked and have had no real issues since.

I have noticed more than one Samba download in the Software Manager-- Be sure and use the same one in the tutorial.

I can't help you and I regret that. I wish I could but you've probably followed the guide to a T already. Samba is the simplest IMO, because there is no messing with paths, etc.

Have you gotten anywhere at all?
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!

Not yet.
    I noticed the win7 pc workgroup name is "WORKGROUP"

When I try to type "WORKGROUP" into the server field in Samba, close and reopen is always lowercase. Does case matter?

Beans
    Hidden!

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/05/...-file-sharing/

This here worked!

you have to do a run command in win7

To access the shares from Windows 7, go to Start –> All Programs –> Accessories –> Run and type the share path as shown below.

\\IP Address or Hostname\shared_name
    at least I was able to access a shared folder this way.
    For some reason, win7 I can not see any shares, I have to type in a direct link.
    Why is that!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

For simplicity, create a folder on the root of the C drive on the Windows 7 machine and call it whatever you want, but for this we'll call it Files. Once the file is created, right-click on it and go to properties. Now click on the sharing tab and click the share button. Hit the dropdown box to show "Everyone" and hit Add. Now change the permissions to "Everyone" to "read/Write". Hit Share and you will get a confirmation message that the folder is now shared with the folder path: \\192.168.1.254\Files (or whatever your computer IP address or hostname is)

Now on your Ubuntu machine, open your home folder, and then select File - Connect to server.

On the Connect To Server screen, fill it out like this:

Change type to Windows Share
    Server: IP or hostname of your Windows 7 computer
    Share: Shared folder you created on your Win7 computer
    Username and Password: Windows 7 computer credentials
    Select the Remember This Password box to keep the connection alive.

If this doesn't work, check your Windows firewall settings or possibly any firewall software installed on the Win7 computer.

Beans
    Hidden!

ok, thanks I will give these ideas a go.
    So far I was able to forcefeed windows the server location.

I thought win7 would automatically discover the Ubuntu machine? But no, I had to type in like \\192.168.1.102\sharedfoldername in order for windows to even see it from the run command. once I did that, I was able to see all the other shared folders. The first guide left out that step, the second one worked.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    Not yet.
    I noticed the win7 pc workgroup name is "WORKGROUP"

When I try to type "WORKGROUP" into the server field in Samba, close and reopen is always lowercase. Does case matter?
    Mine is lower case also, and it works. I really don't remember if I typed it that way or not, probably not.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/05/...-file-sharing/

This here worked!

you have to do a run command in win7

at least I was able to access a shared folder this way.
    For some reason, win7 I can not see any shares, I have to type in a direct link.
    Why is that!
    I don't know, but it's exactly what I don't like to do--paths. I don't have to and really can't understand why it isn't easy for others.

Be sure and allow shares in windows when you're setting up the network group.

Since I have nothing to hide or lose, I have no restrictions at all. No encrypted passwords that I enter once and then tell windows to remember forever so I don't have to enter each time. I allow everyone in Samba users. The user is 'share', the guest is 'nobody' no password. Most people prefer not to be this lenient.

I just added a new system to the network and all I did was install Samba, allowed shared folders and files, let samba install the permissions there, and bingo! I can use it on any machine. I just tested it. I'm not doing anything special so it must be the machines.

You do have to restart them.

Beans
    Distro

The first guide left out that step, the second one worked.
    Again, I used the first guide and did not have to add the IP.
    Glad you got it working!!

Beans
    Hidden!

I did do several restarts on both machines, however the win7 machine displays nothing, you must enter in the server share addresses every single time.

So it is partially solved and partially still mysterious as ever for me using samba.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast