Thread: Screen, Graphics and input settings not detected

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Screen, Graphics and input settings not detected

On trying to boot up my PC I am getting a message that " "the system is running in low graphics mode" as your screen, graphics card and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure these yourself."
    The next screen gives options but no keys work to select anything so I am unable to get any further.
    I have tried running in Recover mode and previous versions but to no good.
    The PC is currently dual boot and is ok in windows, using Ubuntu 12.04.
    I have a 12.10 boot on a USB but have not tried this yet, I am using an old PC for this message.
    Any suggestions..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Screen, Graphics and input settings not detected

hit ctrl-alt-f1 to get to tty1, login to the textual environment. run this command to see what graphics card you have

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA

Beans
    Distro

This gives
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    Thanks

Beans

I have the same problem. I have been running 12.04 for a wile with no problems, now all of a sudden it comes up with that message. I've managed to boot up from the installation CD with no problem (I'm using that boot up now). I ran the suggested code and my graphics card was listed but my laptop still won't boot normally.

I considered re-installing Ubuntu to try to solve this but don't know if it's possible to do that without losing all the files I have in my Home folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Simon65 View Post
    I have the same problem. I have been running 12.04 for a wile with no problems, now all of a sudden it comes up with that message. I've managed to boot up from the installation CD with no problem (I'm using that boot up now). I ran the suggested code and my graphics card was listed but my laptop still won't boot normally.

I considered re-installing Ubuntu to try to solve this but don't know if it's possible to do that without losing all the files I have in my Home folder.
    is it possible you had a kernel update? try to boot into an older kernel and see if it works like it used to for ya.

To the OP, I am not sure how to help you as I don't experience the issue since I don't have that graphics controller. Hopefully someone else will come along to help you. Check google in the meantime

Beans
    Distro

I have had to reinstall, as nothing else would work, I upgraded from 12.4 to 12.10 but still the same problem. I now have a working OS but now have another problem as the Wireless is not showing or connecting, I assume this is a driver issue?