Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KDE Gets Unity Like Interface In HomeRun Launcher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: KDE Gets Unity Like Interface In HomeRun Launcher

Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    This new menu obviously has similarities to unity but could also be seen as a icon/explorer layout of kickoff which predates unity.
    Initially I thought the same, that KDE Homerun looked like an oversized Kickoff (or a redone Plasma Netbook), but then, I saw it:

Quote Originally Posted by Homerun developer's blog
    The more sources we get the more useful Homerun is. (...) One could even create an Amazon source... Could be handy as long as it is not on the Home tab

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Jokes aside, it just one option more to add to the many existing in KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    See, the biggest issue I have with Unity is not Unity itself, but the inexplicable attitude on the part of the Gnome Project to go against the very sacrosanct element of choice.

If Gnome had made Unity an optional UI, that'd have been fine. But no... they said that would be the new interface, and essentially (don't know how else to interpret it but) F.U. if you don't like it, 'cuz that's how it's going to be. And I will not tolerate nor forgive being held hostage like that.

Now, hopefully the KDE Project will be sensible, and implement a Unity / iOS-type of UI, but only make it an option which one may choose to enable and use, if and only if the user wants to.
    I think you must have accidentally worded this wrong. Did you mean "If Canonical had made Unity an optional UI..."? Because the way you worded it sounds like you're mad at Gnome. Gnome was working on Gnome Shell before Canonical started working on Unity. Canonical started working on Unity because they didn't like where Gnome Shell is going. It's not Gnome's fault.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: KDE Gets Unity Like Interface In HomeRun Launcher

Quote Originally Posted by BigCityCat View Post
    I prefer the traditional desktop.
    Same here..Also that's why i don't use Unity.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Kudos to KDE to have the flexibility to allow for this, yet not have to throw the "baby out with the bath water" and do all-or-nothing!

I'm waiting for somebody to make Metro Modern like tiles interface similar to Windows 8! Hey, not everybody likes them but I do.. or may.. or think it looks interesting (but haven't been stuck with it for a long enough time for it to get on my nerves).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Kudos to KDE to have the flexibility to allow for this, yet not have to throw the "baby out with the bath water" and do all-or-nothing!

I'm waiting for somebody to make Metro Modern like tiles interface similar to Windows 8! Hey, not everybody likes them but I do.. or may.. or think it looks interesting (but haven't been stuck with it for a long enough time for it to get on my nerves).
    Actually that may be a good idea for mobile phones or tablets. Of course, that distro would have to work pretty well out of the box because let's face it... who's going to poke around the mobile phone's touchscreen for hours on end until they get the 'look and feel' just right? With a mouse and keyboard, yeah, maybe.... with a touch screen? Forget it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    See, the biggest issue I have with Unity is not Unity itself, but the inexplicable attitude on the part of the Gnome Project to go against the very sacrosanct element of choice.

If Gnome had made Unity an optional UI, that'd have been fine. But no... they said that would be the new interface, and essentially (don't know how else to interpret it but) F.U. if you don't like it, 'cuz that's how it's going to be. And I will not tolerate nor forgive being held hostage like that.

Now, hopefully the KDE Project will be sensible, and implement a Unity / iOS-type of UI, but only make it an option which one may choose to enable and use, if and only if the user wants to.
    Gnome didn't come out with Unity, Unity was in response to Gnome. But aren't Unity, Mate and Cinnamon just Gnome-shells?

Gnome-shell choices aren't as fully integrated into Gnome as KDE's Plasma desktops are.

There is a touch-screen focused KDE desktop named Active, so I would assume that is their focus for touch screens and tablets. I'm waiting for ZaReason's ZaTab to come with KDE Active as the desktop environment (on a Linux distro) as an option instead of Android.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

I am giving it a try and I kind of like it, though it n3eeds drag and drop support and the ability to change the icon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    And yet you can run gnome-shell or unity on gnome3.
    Instead of them just adding it as a choice as a UI and letting me choose *if* I want to use Unity.

But oh no, you now have to install and configure additional software so you can keep what you already have and want. Sorry, but that's not friendly AND a load of unacceptable crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Gnome didn't come out with Unity, Unity was in response to Gnome. But aren't Unity, Mate and Cinnamon just Gnome-shells?

Gnome-shell choices aren't as fully integrated into Gnome as KDE's Plasma desktops are.
    Which kind of proves the point: Gnome Project's attitude is very unacceptable.
    Last edited by MisterGaribaldi; November 16th, 2012 at 05:10 AM.

Beans

Well, the flexibility of KDE was always it's main feature. (as known as, the power of the gray side) You can make it look like almost everything. But I do remember there was another launcher that does the same trick - but it was buggy as hell.

Yet, I believe there's no point of making KDE look like Unity when there's already an Unity UI. I still prefer my -very blank- panel with Kickoff Menu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anarchticgrimm View Post
    Yet, I believe there's no point of making KDE look like Unity when there's already an Unity UI. I still prefer my -very blank- panel with Kickoff Menu.
    What if someone likes *some* of the aspects of Unity, but not all of them? What if someone likes the Unity look and feel, but wants to add in some unique plasma features like activities or specific plasma widgets?
    What if I want a Unity-like desktop experience on one of the many, many distros to which Unity has not been ported?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast