Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: KDE Gets Unity Like Interface In HomeRun Launcher

Beans

Re: KDE Gets Unity Like Interface In HomeRun Launcher

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    What if someone likes *some* of the aspects of Unity, but not all of them? What if someone likes the Unity look and feel, but wants to add in some unique plasma features like activities or specific plasma widgets?
    What if I want a Unity-like desktop experience on one of the many, many distros to which Unity has not been ported?
    What if that's just what I believe? =)

Beans

forrestcupp & dragonbite:

No, this is a Gnome thing. Just simply taking a look at the Gnome Project's home page and the screenshots they have posted there makes it pretty obvious the UI in question comes from them.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    Instead of them just adding it as a choice as a UI and letting me choose *if* I want to use Unity.

But oh no, you now have to install and configure additional software so you can keep what you already have and want. Sorry, but that's not friendly AND a load of unacceptable crap.

Which kind of proves the point: Gnome Project's attitude is very unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    forrestcupp & dragonbite:

No, this is a Gnome thing. Just simply taking a look at the Gnome Project's home page and the screenshots they have posted there makes it pretty obvious the UI in question comes from them.
    So you didn't accidentally word your post wrong? Can you explain what you're talking about, and what your specific complaint is? From my perspective, Gnome was working on a new paradigm for a DE, Canonical didn't like it, so they made their own DE that just so happened to look like a copy of what Gnome was doing, and then Canonical forced it on us. So how is any of that Gnome's fault?

Also, I know this is just my subjective opinion, but I think Gnome Shell is a much better DE than Unity.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    So you didn't accidentally word your post wrong? Can you explain what you're talking about, and what your specific complaint is? From my perspective, Gnome was working on a new paradigm for a DE, Canonical didn't like it, so they made their own DE that just so happened to look like a copy of what Gnome was doing, and then Canonical forced it on us. So how is any of that Gnome's fault?

Also, I know this is just my subjective opinion, but I think Gnome Shell is a much better DE than Unity.
    IIRC, Gnome drastically changed the appearance and Canonical didn't like it and produced Unity. AFTER Gnome saw what Unity looked like then Gnome started suspiciously looking more and more Unity-like but in their own way.

Now, I don't have any links to back this up because I'm going on my own memory. When Gnome 3 was being announced and for a while, before Unity came out, Gnome 3(shell) was available on Ubuntu. It was buggy and just a preview. I gave it a shot and kinda liked it, but that was before Gnome started copying/looking more like Unity.

This would have been maybe 2009? I don't remember when Unity first came out (not as the default, as a separate installation).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

i thought kde was always nice, but i use unity because of the launcher. now i can have both. so happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Canonical didn't like it, so they made their own DE that just so happened to look like a copy of what Gnome was doing, and then Canonical forced it on us.
    A) They don't look similar, at all, they function quite different as well.
    B) Explain to me, if they forced it on us, how are all of these other Ubuntu users using Gnome-Shell, KDE, XFCE, and other WM/DE's? Sounds like Canonical isn't very good at "forcing" something if that was their intent.

If you're going to make wild accusations like that, at least base them somewhere in reality instead of forrestcupp's dreamland. That goes double for MisterGaribaldi, who's can't even blame the right people for the DE he's "forced" to use.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A few more screenshots...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    IIRC, Gnome drastically changed the appearance and Canonical didn't like it and produced Unity. AFTER Gnome saw what Unity looked like then Gnome started suspiciously looking more and more Unity-like but in their own way.

Now, I don't have any links to back this up because I'm going on my own memory. When Gnome 3 was being announced and for a while, before Unity came out, Gnome 3(shell) was available on Ubuntu. It was buggy and just a preview. I gave it a shot and kinda liked it, but that was before Gnome started copying/looking more like Unity.

This would have been maybe 2009? I don't remember when Unity first came out (not as the default, as a separate installation).
    yep, here's what gnome-shell looked like at first: http://andrewharvey4.files.wordpress...tivitymode.png

In any case, with the current versions of gnome-shell and unity, any similarities are mostly superficial and I really don't think they really "copied" each other. gnome-shell and unity work pretty differently.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

@forrestcupp:

I'm not sure how to answer your question. The UI featured on Gnome Project's site looks like the UI that ships with standard Ubuntu. So...

Either which way, that "style" of UI on a desktop system, IMNSHO, sucks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Could we reserve our opinions about Gnome-shell, Unity and such for one of several threads floating around the Recurring Discussions section?

Seems people that prefer KDE are going to be spoilt for choice in just how they interact with their systems.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast