Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UCE Question

offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: UCE Question

Hello again; You could be right, i wonder though if it's just that not many people use
    ubuntu CE ? Kind of sad if thats the case as the Christian theme of uce is like a breath of
    fresh air in the computer world, at least for me.
    I appreciate the obvious effort the developers went to, to make it happen, i will give it another try when i can spend some more time on it.
    I am not an advanced user, only 4 1/2 months with linux, so i ask a lot of questions in these forums trying to learn it well enough to have it become a useful working tool for me. Thanks for the interest, if you find out any thing more on the web filter i do check
    in here regularly, please let me know.

Beans
    Hidden!

An update here, I have reinstalled 12.04 CE after 12.04 crashed, thought i would give it
    another try.
    I have found that the dansguardian web filter runs from the terminal. So i have been
    looking at that, i haven't seen any way to edit the settings yet though, any ideas?
    Ubuntu 12.04 CE does run slower than 12.04, likely in part to the web filter.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello. Sorry for my absence. New addition to family. New home. New job. New state. But I am getting back backinto backintothe swing of things. To address your issue. dg is controlled via conference files. We are building a frontend for it which will be included in our next release. Also dg is configured strongly out the box and yes is tied directly into the internet handling via proxy. So yes removing DC without first turning off firewall will cause problem which is what you felt with.the goal is to not make it a overly simple task for our tech savvy kids these days. Again sorry for the issue and better documentation is coming to to aid.
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans

Beans
    Hidden!

stlsaint; Thank you for the reply, Any idea on the time frame of the next release?

Beans

***Google is your Friend***
    My belief any one with admin rights should be able to do anything with there systems. Linux in ***NOT*** the hidden world of Windows (tm).

With great power come great responsibly.

To remove dansguardian
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove dansguardian tinyproxy firehol

Beans

Whilst I would run DG (or Squid/SquidGuard) on a server for clients, I think that running DG on an individual machine is beginning to get a bit outdated and can be an issue where a machine does not have a lot of resources to begin with. I'm more in favour of using a cloud based service like OpenDNS - very simple to use and no doubt could be configured automatically once the user signs up for an account with them.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomeagle1967 View Post
    ***Google is your Friend***
    My belief any one with admin rights should be able to do anything with there systems. Linux in ***NOT*** the hidden world of Windows (tm).

With great power come great responsibly.

To remove dansguardian
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove dansguardian tinyproxy firehol
    Thank you for the input. Actually removing dansguardian is easy, I have done it using the
    software center, the problem is to remove it and not totally mess up the browser, I do
    have instructions sent to me via private message on how to do this, as yet I have not
    made the attempt to try.

I totally agree with your post by the way, as admin I should be able to control my
    system, not the other way around.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nixblog View Post
    Whilst I would run DG (or Squid/SquidGuard) on a server for clients, I think that running DG on an individual machine is beginning to get a bit outdated and can be an issue where a machine does not have a lot of resources to begin with. I'm more in favour of using a cloud based service like OpenDNS - very simple to use and no doubt could be configured automatically once the user signs up for an account with them.
    My problem is not lack of resource on my machine rather I am very
    much a beginner at using the command line, anyone with a bit of
    skill in that area would probably have no problem configuring
    dansgaurdian to their liking. I am trying to learn the CLI but
    it is a big learning curve for me, and thank you for the reply.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    Thank you for the input. Actually removing dansguardian is easy, I have done it using the
    software center, the problem is to remove it and not totally mess up the browser, I do
    have instructions sent to me via private message on how to do this, as yet I have not
    made the attempt to try.

I totally agree with your post by the way, as admin I should be able to control my
    system, not the other way around.
    I am a Gentoo User and run virtual machines for various reason ( Freedos, WinXP,Dedian). I decided to try Ubuntu Christian Edition again (it's been several years) . Anyways I ran that command and it did not damage the web browser or any other part of the system in any way shape or form. The software center most likely did not get the other two packages. ( ***note*** even if you selected complete removal)

It would be a good idea to run this command to clean up orphan packages that might be on your system.

Code:
     apt-get autoremove
    Peace

PS. Do not be afraid of the command line, it can be imitating, however, it is the best way to admin your system. You can copy and past into your terminal.
    Last edited by Freedomeagle1967; January 4th, 2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Cli is were the power is!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomeagle1967 View Post
    I am a Gentoo User and run virtual machines for various reason ( Freedos, WinXP,Dedian). I decided to try Ubuntu Christian Edition again (it's been several years) . Anyways I ran that command and it did not damage the web browser or any other part of the system in any way shape or form. The software center most likely did not get the other two packages. ( ***note*** even if you selected complete removal)

It would be a good idea to run this command to clean up orphan packages that might be on your system.

Code:
     apt-get autoremove
    Peace
    Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast