Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Customising scroll bars ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Customising scroll bars ?

I would like to change the appearance of the scroll bars to make them more visible on my wife's laptop running 12.04, with Gnome, rather than Unity.

Her Ubuntu usage would be greatly enhanced if she could see them more easily.
    Currently we are running the Radiance theme, where the scroll bars are 20% grey over a background of 30% grey(I'm guessing), so the contrast couldn't be much worse.

She also needs black lettering on a white backgound, so if anyone could suggest a change of theme that might improve matters, I'd be grateful.

I've had a search, but most screen shots seem to concentrate on the wallpaper, so progress is a bit slow in trying to find something suitable.

Thanks
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Customising scroll bars ?

Hi, there are quite a few threads here about customizing scrollbars. But you'll have to edit files to do so. There's one GUI-based program called GNOME Color Chooser that will allow the "click, click, click" approach but that's only for GTK2 apps, a gradually vanishing species.

I have customized all the scrollbars I come across, GTK2 or 3, but that has been with Unity, Xfce and Lubuntu. I have no experience with the Gnome DE.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro

Hi vasa1,
    Thanks for your response.
    Since my original post, I've found a page on the askubuntu.com site that offers various ideas.

I've done a preliminary read through of my gtk-3.widgets.css file, and found the code for the scroll bars.
    Unfortunately for me the code appears on screen so widely laid out with line breaks that I'm having some difficulty in reading it. Also the scroll bar 'sliders' and troughs have gradients, so again, each line of code is somewhat extended.

When I'm feeling a little more confident, I'll see what a single change makes on my screen before changing SWMBO's laptop

And I will make a backup copy before, I promise !

Regards
    John

Beans

Since you're talking about 12.04, which is supported until April 2017, you might find some of my notes here helpful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

I'll grant you that's written for the "classic (no effects)" session but those parts related to theming and the scrollbars should apply to Unity and Gnome Shell also.

Specifically regarding themes look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=70

You'll notice the first section refers to default settings and how to determine the existing settings before changing anything. The rest focuses on the Zukitwo themes but there are other themes available from that source for 12.04:

https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+...filter=precise

precise_themes.png

Regarding scrollbars in general I'm a bit unsure if you're using the overlay scrollbars or not

In step #8 of that first link I describe how to drop the overlay scrollbars on a per-user basis, but you will notice that a few apps requiring root access will still display the overlay scrollbars. So they can be more permanently removed like this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=152

Note: I highlighted "permanently" because getting the overlay scrollbars back is NOT as easy as just reinstalling the pkgs!!!!

One final note: It appears that the classic sessions are being deprecated altogether either in 13.04 or 13.10 so I highly recommend that classic DE users stick with 12.04 which is supported until April 2017. I strongly suspect that things will be hashed out one way or another by mid 2016

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Regarding scrollbars in general I'm a bit unsure if you're using the overlay scrollbars or not
    From OP's second post it looks like it's the conventional scrollbars (IMO) since reference is made to sliders and troughs and gradients:
    "I've done a preliminary read through of my gtk-3.widgets.css file, and found the code for the scroll bars.
    Unfortunately for me the code appears on screen so widely laid out with line breaks that I'm having some difficulty in reading it. Also the scroll bar 'sliders' and troughs have gradients, so again, each line of code is somewhat extended
    ."

From what I've seen (in 12.04), the overlay scrollbar code is pretty brief.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    From OP's second post it looks like it's the conventional scrollbars (IMO) since reference is made to sliders and troughs and gradients:
    "I've done a preliminary read through of my gtk-3.widgets.css file, and found the code for the scroll bars.
    Unfortunately for me the code appears on screen so widely laid out with line breaks that I'm having some difficulty in reading it. Also the scroll bar 'sliders' and troughs have gradients, so again, each line of code is somewhat extended
    ."

From what I've seen (in 12.04), the overlay scrollbar code is pretty brief.
    Thanks. I suspected that was the case but I always try to err on the side of caution

It is quite true that the standard scrollbar color "contrast" rather stinks with the standard themes.

Clearlooks/now Clearwaita is by far the best but I've tried Clearwaita from a couple of different sources and always encountered problems, so I chose the Zukitwo themes because they do seem to just work, and they have a slightly better color contrast

Beans
    Distro

Hi kansasnoob, and vasa1.
    Yes, it's the classic scroll bars we're using.
    I found the overlays concept bizarre. I know they wanted to produce an uncluttered look, but that seemed a bit extreme, so I've disabled them, but not removed them.
    You've given me a vast amount of reading to do, kansasnoob, so I'll return when I've got through it.
    I'll also look at Zukitwo theme, as a new theme might be easier to impliment
    Regards
    John

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grey1beard View Post
    Yes, it's the classic scroll bars we're using....
    John
    BTW, which browser is being used?

Beans
    Distro

Firefox 16.0.1

John

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grey1beard View Post
    Firefox 16.0.1

John
    If the scrollbars in Firefox are an issue, you could consider installing the Stylish extension and then add code to make at least the browser's scrollbars as contrasty as you like.

The advantage of that approach is that your Firefox scrollbars will be unaffected by changes in themes.

You can find a whole bunch of scrollbar styles @ userstyles.org.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast