Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I SSH into a remote server?

Beans

Why can't I SSH into a remote server?

Im trying to setup my local machine to another machine in my home. I can connect to the remote machine through my laptop but can't do it from the pc. If I disable the firewall in my pc (not the remote machine which im trying to connect to) I can connect. Here is the result of iptables -L :

The SSH port of my pc have been set to 777 and the ssh port of the remote server is 999. Why can't I connect? Is there anything wrong with the firewall rules?
    Last edited by THPubs; November 14th, 2012 at 01:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Why can't I SSH into a remote server?

Quote Originally Posted by THPubs View Post
    the ssh port of the remote server is 999.
    I've not had to use iptables in about a decade, but where is port 999 specified as an exception? Edit: Ah I see; spt/dpt, you'd need that to be dpt 999, rather than spt 777, I assume?
    Last edited by Grenage; November 14th, 2012 at 10:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

... If I disable the firewall in my pc (not the remote machine which im trying to connect to) I can connect...

The SSH port of my pc have been set to 777 and the ssh port of the remote server is 999. Why can't I connect? Is there anything wrong with the firewall rules?
    Look at the OUTPUT chain carefully again. You don't have a rule with the remote destination port of 999. Also, when you do connect without the firewall on your pc look at your connection with netstat. You will see that it is connecting from a very high port (random) to 999. AFAIK there is not a way to have the client choose an outgoing port on your pc.

Code:
    netstat -t
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; November 14th, 2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: got the ports mixed

Beans

How can I fix it? What iptable rule should I put?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

How can I fix it? What iptable rule should I put?
    Code:
    tcp spts:1024:65535 dpt:999
    On the outbound rule? Note, I believe that the dynamic ranges now typically start much higher, more likely 32768-65535.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Code:
    tcp spts:1024:65535 dpt:999
    On the outbound rule? Note, I believe that the dynamic ranges now typically start much higher, more likely 32768-65535.
    Those rules have allowed 32768-65535 right? Sorry, im new to iptables

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Look at the OUTPUT chain carefully again. You don't have a rule with the remote destination port of 999. Also, when you do connect without the firewall on your pc look at your connection with netstat. You will see that it is connecting from a very high port (random) to 999. AFAIK there is not a way to have the client choose an outgoing port on your pc.

Code:
    netstat -t
    It used the port 38674 to connect and according to the above rules, its allowed right? (Sorry, im new to iptables)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It used the port 38674 to connect and according to the above rules, its allowed right? (Sorry, im new to iptables)
    According to the rules you have in the first post above, such a connection would be blocked. You need something like this in the OUTPUT chain:

Code:
     ACCEPT  tcp  --  anywhere        anywhere       tcp spts:1024:65535 dpt:999
    Your destination port on the remote server is 999.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Those rules have allowed 32768-65535 right? Sorry, im new to iptables
    The example I wrote actually allows 1024-65535 (source) to 999 (destination). You'd probably just want to replace:

Code:
        ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp spt:777
    with

Code:
        ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp spts:32768:65535 dpt:999
    Edit: beaten to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you haven't seen them yet, you might like working with iptables-save and iptables-restore. The former will give you output that you can edit and feed back into the latter.

Also, if you are working on the remote server ever you might appreciate iptables-apply as it will help prevent you getting locked out from mistakes in the rules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast