Thread: Touchpad is recognized but not working on Toshiba P855-S5312 - Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Touchpad is recognized but not working on Toshiba P855-S5312 - Ubuntu 12.10

i just made a new fresh install of ubuntu 12.10, everything works nice but the touchpad istn working, it is recognized but it is not working, here a paste bin of what i get when I type "xinput list"
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1357219/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Touchpad is recognized but not working on Toshiba P855-S5312 - Ubuntu 12.10

Make sure that, if you've ever run Windows, you didn't use the function keys to turn off the touchpad while you used an external mouse.

I used to carry around an extra hard drive with Windows on it, and when I used it I would FN+F9 to disable the touchpad while I used an external mouse so I wouldn't accidentally bump the touchpad while typing. For some reason or another, upon inserting the Linux hard drive again, if I forgot to re-enable the touchpad before shutting down, the touchpad would be totally un-responsive. Something about the Toshiba software that managed the hotkeys made it so that even after a cold start, the touchpad would not work unless I booted Windows and pressed FN+F9 again to re-enable it. I was unable to ever find an option in the BIOS that it could have modified, so to this day I'm not certain exactly what it did.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that as a possibility.
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans

Hey thanks for that, it could be that way, im going to try that too, but im pretty shure I never disable the pad on Windows, and i just had it for 1 day... I dont know whats going on never had a problem like this before on other distros, maybe its recognized but it doesnt have the proper drivers or something like that, no? This laptop its kinda new, maybe the the drivers arent the best yet heheh its a x64 system by the way...
    Last edited by b0w; November 14th, 2012 at 07:55 AM.

Beans

Anyone? please help, i would really love to get to use the touchpad.

Thanks!

Beans

Solved, i dont know how, but suddenly my touchpad its working, maybe something i installed or i dont know how, 2 days ago wasnt working but know after making a playonlinux installation it started working, i also installed a windows xp virtualbox machine, maybe it was that, well thanks anyway for your help.