Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't open .exe files via wine

Beans

Cool Can't open .exe files via wine

Hey guys, I'm a bit of a Linux noob, but so far I've tried to make it. I had a bunch of problems with the Windows Ubuntu (the one that installs under your windows copy), so I reinstalled the official Ubuntu and removed Windows 7. I've had a lot of problems (due to my inexperience), but I've researched them and fixed them generally. So far, it's okay except I'm having troubles with wine.

I downloaded wine several times actually, and I even reinstalled Ubuntu again just to make sure. I followed generic instructions in general, and ones that had people saying it worked for them. However, if you need a reference, I followed this video for my last wine installation (after I reinstalled Ubuntu). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSQt9qXduqU
    The only difference I had was at around 3:43, when he accepts the terms after (original command was sudo apt-get install wine1.3). At that point, I had the last few lines similar (ldconfig deferred process taking place), but I didn't have the message that said "All done, no errors", and that little part. I didn't pay much attention to it, as the last line was the same, but should I have?

Then, after following all those instructions, it seemed like it worked, except now when I try to open .exe files (right click and click on Wine Windows Program Loader), nothing happens. Like, nothing happens at all. I click on it and I wait and nothing pops up or anything. Is there something I'm doing wrong? To be specific, I was trying to load the League of Legends .exe file, but I also had a problem with the Spotify Installer .exe file, so I don't think it's the files themselves.

tl;dr clicking on .exe files and opening them on Wine Windows Program Loader, and nothing happens at all. How do I get it to run?

Sorry if I was a bit confusing, I can restate my question if needed. All help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: okay, the problem is that wine thinks i'm running ubuntu in 32 bit when i'm using 64 bit. trying to figure it out now
    Last edited by kupokupo; November 14th, 2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: update

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Can't open .exe files via wine

cd into the directory where your exe file is (e.g if it is on the desktop, in the terminal type "cd Desktop" without quotes, note the capital D)
    then type "wine yourprogram.exe" where yourprogram.exe is the name of your .exe file and see what the output is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    cd into the directory where your exe file is (e.g if it is on the desktop, in the terminal type "cd Desktop" without quotes, note the capital D)
    then type "wine yourprogram.exe" where yourprogram.exe is the name of your .exe file and see what the output is.
    ok so I moved it to Desktop just in case, and I ran it, and this is what I got.

Log file is being written to C:\users\kupo\Temp\LeagueofLegends.exe.log
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    *** About to try file format org.eclipse.swt.internal.image.WinBMPFileFormat
    *** Created newinstance for WinBMP
    *** About to try file format org.eclipse.swt.internal.image.GIFFileFormat
    *** Created newinstance for GIF
    *** About to try file format org.eclipse.swt.internal.image.WinICOFileFormat
    *** Created newinstance for WinICO
    *** About to try file format org.eclipse.swt.internal.image.JPEGFileFormat
    *** Created newinstance for JPEG
    *** About to try file format org.eclipse.swt.internal.image.PNGFileFormat
    *** Created newinstance for PNG
    Exception in thread "LibgcjInternalFinalizerThread" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at 0x00a069ce (Unknown Source)
    at 0x00a06ed2 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x00a06f83 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x009dc15d (Unknown Source)
    at 0x009d910d (Unknown Source)
    at 0x00a3f93d (Unknown Source)
    at 0x009cb512 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x00a3ea77 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x7b83b8ed (Unknown Source)
    at 0x7bc8f1d9 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x7bc77019 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x7bc76feb (Unknown Source)
    at 0x7bc775f1 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x7bc79560 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x7bc79780 (Unknown Source)
    at 0xdeadbaba (Unknown Source)
    at 0x00a499e7 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x00a4a8e6 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x00a0f6c0 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x00a4a4bc (Unknown Source)
    at 0x00aa44c5 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x7bc76f9c (Unknown Source)
    at 0x7bc79b19 (Unknown Source)
    at 0x7bc76f7a (Unknown Source)
    at 0x7bc7fcc4 (Unknown Source)
    at 0xf7602d48 (Unknown Source)
    err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 1936 bytes in thread 0009 eip 7bc3eeef esp 00ef0ba0 stack 0xef0000-0xef1000-0x10f0000

Beans

How did you install Ubuntu?

Beans

How did you install Ubuntu?
    At first, I used the Windows Installer thing, but I removed that completely.

The version I'm using right now - I went to the Ubuntu website and burned the .iso onto a DVD (had to use a program for this). Then, I started the computer up and did the regular installation (and replaced Windows 7)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kupokupo View Post
    At first, I used the Windows Installer thing, but I removed that completely.

The version I'm using right now - I went to the Ubuntu website and burned the .iso onto a DVD (had to use a program for this). Then, I started the computer up and did the regular installation (and replaced Windows 7)
    Ok, check this out

http://askubuntu.com/questions/12784...ring-pkcs11-so

Beans

Oh, I think that's in the .wine folder.

Yeah, it's at: /home/kupo/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/kupo/Temp

inside there is the .exe.log file.

EDIT: i didn't ask for it to be there though, all I did was just try and run the .exe from desktop.

Beans

Sorry, I edited my post, check the link which seems to describe your problem.

Beans

Sorry, I edited my post, check the link which seems to describe your problem.
    ok so i'm following the answer (because the question's solution is a bit confusing, unless i should follow that).

I tried:

wget https://launchpad.net/~jcollins/+arc...7Eppa2_all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i getlibs_2.06-0ubuntu1~ppa2_all.deb
    I got a 404 error though, this is it exactly.
    --2012-11-13 18:30:52-- https://launchpad.net/~jcollins/+arc...6Eppa2_all.deb
    Resolving launchpad.net (launchpad.net)... 91.189.89.223, 91.189.89.222
    Connecting to launchpad.net (launchpad.net)|91.189.89.223|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    2012-11-13 18:30:53 ERROR 404: Not Found.
    I'm a real noob at this so if I'm missing something obvious, just tell me. When clicking on the question's solution, I just get linked to a wine1.5 and I couldn't see a straightforward solution and I wasn't sure if I should follow that.

EDIT: the website he linked to to install getlibs has the same command as well. what should i do?
    Last edited by kupokupo; November 14th, 2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: clarification

Beans

I don't know, I clicked that link and it offered to download the deb so it works, maybe you can try again? Once download you can just install the deb by right clicking. The guy who posted the original solution was making it unnecessarily cryptic for new users with wget and dpkg -i and what not

Basically, download and install glib_2.06 which is a deb package.

Then follow the steps in installing 32 bit library and creating the symbolic link.

Seems that wine thinks that you are running 32 bit machine for some reasons.

EDITED: BTW if you want to install a .deb with the command "sudo dpkg -i .." you need to first cd into the directory where it is, so if it is on the desktop, you need to run 'cd Desktop'. This is a general rule: you have to do things in the correct directory.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; November 14th, 2012 at 03:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast