Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Keyboard Ubuntu to Windows - without 'Restarting' ?

  1. #11
    squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    2,238
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Keyboard Ubuntu to Windows - without 'Restarting' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BNZBKK View Post
    Please don't overthink - or underthink - this, a solution such as CTRL+T as previously suggested is what I'm after

    Thank you
    Couldn't tell from your initial post what you were saying - you wanted a way to switch your keyboard from linux to windows and back. That can a huge number of possibilities of what you want to do.

    From reading what is in the thread now, it isn't a matter of keyboard or windows at all, it's a matter of doing a restart from the keyboard by pressing a single key or a single combination of keys. If that isn't correct please explain exactly what you want to do.

    I've seen mention in some of the replies about virtualbox, yet you don't mention virtualbox. That's why it would be nice to know: does this have ANYTHING to do with a virtual machine, and if so, what is the host and what is the guest? Do you just want to switch between a virtual machine and the host OS? OR do you just simply want a "quick" way to request ubuntu to reboot? Where does Windows come in to this (given your initial post)?

    Forgive me for "overthinking", but you just haven't been specific enough to describe exactly what you want to do. With that, we can perhaps give you THE answer.
    Last edited by squakie; November 14th, 2012 at 04:21 AM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bangkok
    Beans
    98
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Keyboard Ubuntu to Windows - without 'Restarting' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    audiomick; This is making more sense now, at least to me.

    The url doesn't though, it brings up Open Linux Forums- Index
    Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    Oh, that isn't part of the post. That is in my signature...

    Heh heh you wacky tech heads

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bangkok
    Beans
    98
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Keyboard Ubuntu to Windows - without 'Restarting' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    I think he meant ctrl+alt+t. That should bring up a terminal, and then you can type in
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    This
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    will also make it reboot, and this...
    Yes thank you 'audiomick' you've got the idea but it's just another way to restart into the other OS

    I may be mistaken but I thought ...wish there was a quick 'key-in' to go back and forth between the two OS's rapidly but probably impossible given the OS 'brain change' and power up required.

    But I'm grateful to you all anyway - and keep up the good work


    .
    Last edited by BNZBKK; November 14th, 2012 at 06:13 AM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bangkok
    Beans
    98
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Keyboard Ubuntu to Windows - without 'Restarting' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    Couldn't tell from your initial post what you were saying - you wanted a way to switch your keyboard from linux to windows and back. That can a huge number of possibilities of what you want to do.

    From reading what is in the thread now, it isn't a matter of keyboard or windows at all, it's a matter of doing a restart from the keyboard by pressing a single key or a single combination of keys. If that isn't correct please explain exactly what you want to do.

    I've seen mention in some of the replies about virtualbox, yet you don't mention virtualbox. That's why it would be nice to know: does this have ANYTHING to do with a virtual machine, and if so, what is the host and what is the guest? Do you just want to switch between a virtual machine and the host OS? OR do you just simply want a "quick" way to request ubuntu to reboot? Where does Windows come in to this (given your initial post)?

    Forgive me for "overthinking", but you just haven't been specific enough to describe exactly what you want to do. With that, we can perhaps give you THE answer.



    Hey 'squakie' have a cup of tea and a good lie down ..or a long walk ..seriously

  5. #15
    squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    2,238
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Keyboard Ubuntu to Windows - without 'Restarting' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BNZBKK View Post
    Hey 'squakie' have a cup of tea and a good lie down ..or a long walk ..seriously
    I'm asking a legitimate question based on your opening post. So, what is it you want to do? Seems like a SIMPLE question.

  6. #16
    squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    2,238
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Keyboard Ubuntu to Windows - without 'Restarting' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BNZBKK View Post
    Yes thank you 'audiomick' you've got the idea but it's just another way to restart into the other OS

    I may be mistaken but I thought ...wish there was a quick 'key-in' to go back and forth between the two OS's rapidly but probably impossible given the OS 'brain change' and power up required.

    But I'm grateful to you all anyway - and keep up the good work


    .
    If you want a magic key to switch between a RUNNING ubuntu and a RUNNING Windows installation, there's no such animal unless you ARE using a virtual machine. You can't have both OS's running at the same time on the same box without one of them being in a virtual machine. There is also no way to rapidly switch OS's - you must restart.

    That's THE answer.

    Wasn't so hard providing that detail to someone ELSE, was it?
    Last edited by squakie; November 14th, 2012 at 10:14 AM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,799
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Keyboard Ubuntu to Windows - without 'Restarting' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    If you want a magic key to switch between a RUNNING ubuntu and a RUNNING Windows installation, there's no such animal unless you ARE using a virtual machine. You can't have both OS's running at the same time on the same box without one of them being in a virtual machine. There is also no way to rapidly switch OS's - you must restart.
    +1

    Would have provided the same info myself, but thought surely the OP wasn't asking for a keyboard shortcut to switch between independent OSes. The initial post seemed confusing, and everyone else seemed to be barking up different trees.

    For the record, it is possible to Hibernate one system and then boot into the other. However, Hibernate functionality has been sketchy enough in the past that it's now disabled by default in Ubuntu. It wouldn't really be faster, anyways, unless you had a lot of applications open that you didn't want to close.

    If you want to quickly switch between OSes, you need to run one on a VM.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

  8. #18
    squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    2,238
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Keyboard Ubuntu to Windows - without 'Restarting' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    +1

    Would have provided the same info myself, but thought surely the OP wasn't asking for a keyboard shortcut to switch between independent OSes. The initial post seemed confusing, and everyone else seemed to be barking up different trees.

    For the record, it is possible to Hibernate one system and then boot into the other. However, Hibernate functionality has been sketchy enough in the past that it's now disabled by default in Ubuntu. It wouldn't really be faster, anyways, unless you had a lot of applications open that you didn't want to close.

    If you want to quickly switch between OSes, you need to run one on a VM.
    Yep - finally someone who saw what I was talking about - thanks newb85!! As you mention, you can hibernate one, but you still have to do a reboot to get to the other, and apparently the op is looking for a way around that. But as you mention, hibernate, if you can get it working (I'm lucky on my old Dell Inspiron 1501 - the hibernate actually works!) does provide for a somewhat faster way to get back to where you were. I'm so glad you saw this thread and posted - I thought maybe I was going nuts or something!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Calif
    Beans
    1,208
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Keyboard Ubuntu to Windows - without 'Restarting' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    If you want a magic key to switch between a RUNNING ubuntu and a RUNNING Windows installation, there's no such animal unless you ARE using a virtual machine. You can't have both OS's running at the same time on the same box without one of them being in a virtual machine. There is also no way to rapidly switch OS's - you must restart.

    That's THE answer.

    Wasn't so hard providing that detail to someone ELSE, was it?
    +1 good job!
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    14,653
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Keyboard Ubuntu to Windows - without 'Restarting' ?

    This has been asked and answered so I am closing the thread.
    Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •