Thread: Specific block devices with user level r/w?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Specific block devices with user level r/w?

Not really sure how to ask since I seem to be having a hard time framing the question for a Google search. Here is an example.

System has 3 physical devices, sda, sdb, sdc (and related numbers for partitions, ie sda1). These are root/disk permission and this is good.

I plug in 2 more disk drives (esata hot swap) and these devices show up as sdd and sde, also with root/disk permission. This is not so good.

What I would love to have happen is for those additional devices to show up user/disk (or something like that). This way I can use tools like dd on them at the user level, no sudo, no adding the user to disk group.

This would allow me to keep from damaging sda-sdc with a typo (I haven't yet but it's bound to happen eventually). Also this would ease my mind some if I wasn't the one typing the commands.

Ideally the partitions would also be user level (so sdd1 and sde1 if they each had one partition).

If it helps/matters the systems in question are an ubuntu server (12.04), though another system is ubuntu desktop (10.04, for now).

hrm, finally got a hit on udev, need to do some reading...

[edit]
    Wow, that ended up easier than I expected... I figured I would be reading and whatnot for a while. Still not the best solution but what I have is:

create a new file /etc/udev/rules.d/disk-permissions.rules
    Add in one line each for each device like so:
    KERNEL=="<blockdev>*", OWNER="<user>"
    where <blockdev> is something like sdd and <user> is the account to own the object.
    for example
    KERNEL=="sdd*", OWNER="user"
    This will cause the device that ends up in sdd and all partitions (the asterisk) to have ownership of user instead of root.

Now the hard part, leaving sda-sdc as root/disk while having all after have user/disk permission, preferably without tons of lines. I will need a separate machine (vm) to see if I can figure this bit out.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Pro_D; November 13th, 2012 at 11:22 AM.