Thread: Will deleting /Media file delete other hard drives listed in it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Will deleting /Media file delete other hard drives listed in it.

I have a desktop with about 4 hard drives in it. My system stopped booting up and I decided I didn't want to bother fixing it as I kind of wanted to install a newer version of Ubuntu and just start clean.

I installed the new system on another hard drive. I went into the old hard drive and put all the files I wanted to keep root directory. I then deleted all the rest as I now just want to use this hard drive as storage. There is one last file "Media" that has the other hard drives listed in it. If I were to use command

rm -r Media

Would it delete the hard drives that are listed in that file or just the "Media" file? My guess is the files in the media folder and more just "links" than the actual drives thus wont delete the contants of the listed hard drives but I figure I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Will deleting /Media file delete other hard drives listed in it.

Those hard drives are mounted under /media, if you ran that command it would delete *everything* under that folder, including the data on those hard drives and leave you no way to undo it.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Will deleting /Media file delete other hard drives listed in it.

to find out if anything is "mounted" within the /media/ folder issue this command
    Code:
    mount
    that will show you what device is mounted where. normally /media is a folder, not a file, and it contains auto-mounted removable devices like usb drives. I wouldn't suggest removing /media/ as it's a normal folder within Ubuntu.

I would definitely NOT issue rm -r /media unless you're certain that there is no partition or hard drive mounted there.