View Poll Results: Which of these is better (in your opinion)?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arch

17 60.71%
  • Gentoo

4 14.29%
  • Slackware

7 25.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which of these is better?

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Which of these is better?

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateCat View Post

I've been running Debian a little over 6 months and it runs rock solid and stable!
    Yep. With all other distros I've used I felt like a hamster running on one of those circular wheels just trying to keep up with all the changes and foul-ups caused by the changes. Debian is so stable it is almost boring, but that is good. I think.

Note that this is true even though I am on sid. I do a dist-upgrade every day and I'm on the latest kernel (currently 3.6.6, but expecting 3.7 any day now) and packages. But everything works and it just keeps on working.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Which of these is better?

@ratcheer: Wait until Debian releases Wheezy, then Sid will start updating again, probably with a backlog in the first few weeks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hands up everybody who has used the fabulous Arch documentation? My most recent usage was the definitive wiki page on the state of play with Bluray and Linux:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay

Can't be matched by any other distro, but I will stick with Slackware all the same
    Even I have to agree about Arch's awesome documentation. It's not just the Arch wiki, it's the everything-Linux-related wiki.

Beans

Wink Re: Which of these is better?

Quote Originally Posted by cwsnyder View Post
    @ratcheer: Wait until Debian releases Wheezy, then Sid will start updating again, probably with a backlog in the first few weeks.
    Yes, that's what I hear.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

There is no distribution better than the other, it is a subjective statement, and it is best resolved by trying them all out and deciding for oneself which best suits you.

Go check out distrowatch.com and try out the top fifty, eventually make a decision and settle down with a distribution you like, until you have the urge to start hopping around again. Maybe by then you will have figured out virtualbox, or gnome-boxes to try all distributions out in a virtual environment so one does not have to reinstall constantly.

Strange how distribution hopping does not occur with Windows users, maybe it is the lack of choice?
    ( o< -Computers do not have problems, they have users. ~ Cope57
    / /\
    V_/_

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Cope57 View Post
    Strange how distribution hopping does not occur with Windows users, maybe it is the lack of choice?
    This
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

gentoo fo-sho

Beans

I'm a very satisfied Arch user, but my experience with Gentoo is limited and with Slackware not at all.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I agree. I gave up on Arch and switched to Debian sid (Siduction Linux, actually) because of systemd. If Debian gets to the point of requiring systemd, I will find something else.

Tim
    bad news for you - systemd is in Debian testing

Installation

To install systemd run:

# apt-get update
    # apt-get install systemd
    Its also likely to be a dependency of Gnome 3.*, so forget that, as well as Fedora, SuSE, Mandriva.
    Linux Counter - 312953
    (on the 'new' DB)

Beans
    Hidden!

Looking through this thread I haven't seen one actural criticism of systemd - is anybody aware of ways it is inferior to sysvinit or upstart for a home or small business environment?

I've been using Arch for the past year, on network standard but using testing on a netbook. No problems at all with main system, but a couple of glitches with testing - but advice regarding problem/solution by the time I've gone to their website.
    Last edited by kwacka; December 4th, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
    Linux Counter - 312953
    (on the 'new' DB)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast