Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noob needs help

Beans

noob needs help

hello this is my first post. i had ubuntu 12.4 on my vista pc and was getting to find it quite good. but i need space so i deleted the partion it was on and now i cant access vista. i get a error message saying

"error: no such partition

grub rescue"

ive reinstalled the same version of ubuntu so i can access my files to burn off and reformat vista but i need to access folders on my desktop that contain photos i cant replace.

basically is there anyway i can access the vista desktop through ubuntu.

thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: noob needs help

When you reinstalled ubuntu was it a side by side install like before or did it just install and delete the whole disk. This is what I would do. boot up a live cd/ usb and then mount the hard drive and see what is there. You might have just erased the whole hard drive when you reinstalled Ubuntu.

http://ubuntutheotheros.webs.com

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

boot up a live cd OR within your ubuntu install show us the output of the following command entered into a terminal session:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    that will show us yor partition table so we can help you mount your NTFS partition. Do you still want Vista? If so, you could probably use Boot Repair to fix your grub menu so it shows your Vista install so you can boot to it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crushkittykitty View Post
    When you reinstalled ubuntu was it a side by side install like before or did it just install and delete the whole disk. This is what I would do. boot up a live cd/ usb and then mount the hard drive and see what is there. You might have just erased the whole hard drive when you reinstalled Ubuntu.

http://ubuntutheotheros.webs.com

the first time i installed it i created a new partition and installed it there but this time i done a side by side install i think it is, it was the first option on the install disk.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by taffdragon View Post
    the first time i installed it i created a new partition and installed it there but this time i done a side by side install i think it is, it was the first option on the install disk.
    i can't help until I see your various hard drives and partition tables by using the command I mentioned earlier

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    boot up a live cd OR within your ubuntu install show us the output of the following command entered into a terminal session:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    that will show us yor partition table so we can help you mount your NTFS partition. Do you still want Vista? If so, you could probably use Boot Repair to fix your grub menu so it shows your Vista install so you can boot to it.

i can see my windows files and user files through ubuntu just not the ones i need.

i just tried to use the live cd but my dvd drive has stopped working for so reason and it was working a hour ago as i burnt a vista repair disk to try see if that would help.

when i start up the PC i can see the ubuntu and the vista on there but when i click vista it goes so far then goes to the recovery prog but only gives me option for a factory recovery.

is there any way i can start a terminal session without the disk?

Beans
    Distro

didn't you say you have a working ubuntu install? just open a terminal within that ubuntu install.

now you're saying you can see your files but they aren't the ones you need. not sure what you mean. just post the output from the command i asked to make sure you have all the windows partitions mounted so we can find your files.

Beans

didn't you say you have a working ubuntu install? just open a terminal within that ubuntu install.

now you're saying you can see your files but they aren't the ones you need. not sure what you mean. just post the output from the command i asked to make sure you have all the windows partitions mounted so we can find your files.

right figured out the terminal bit.

heres what it said.

karl@karl-G31-M7-TE:~$ sudo fdisk -l
    [sudo] password for karl:

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250058268160 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488395055 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xd848edd9

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 63 11949728 5974833 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2 * 23631615 488391208 232379797 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 11950078 23629823 5839873 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 11950080 19439615 3744768 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 19441664 23629823 2094080 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order
    karl@karl-G31-M7-TE:~$
    hope thats ok?

Beans
    Distro

ok, are any of those partitions mounted? you can tell with teh mount command

Code:
    mount

Beans

ok, are any of those partitions mounted? you can tell with teh mount command

Code:
    mount
    be honest mate i have got a clue.

heres what that command said

karl@karl-G31-M7-TE:~$ mount
    /dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
    none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
    none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/karl/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=karl)
    /dev/sda2 on /media/Partition_1 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,b lksize=4096)
    karl@karl-G31-M7-TE:~$

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast