Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remember EasyPeasy? Would you like it to live on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Remember EasyPeasy? Would you like it to live on?

Yes I remember in 2010 using Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook on my Asus eeePC, the classic one with 4GB SDD. At that time working abroad, I used it as a kind of desktop with a cheap ($15) second hand 15" LCD display, a 16GB SD card and a 40GB USB disk. When in my apartment(hotel), I did not touch my work laptop with Vista. Nowadays I still look at it from time to time in Virtualbox.

I probably would use it on my old P-III laptop, that my wife is using in her small restaurant to play music. I would prefer it over Lubuntu. After remembering that GUI, I might re-install 10.04.
    Last edited by BertN45; November 16th, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BertN45 View Post
    Yes I remember in 2010 using Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook on my Asus eeePC, the classic one with 4GB SDD. At that time working abroad, I used it as a kind of desktop with a cheap ($15) second hand 15" LCD display, a 16GB SD card and a 40GB USB disk. When in my apartment(hotel), I did not touch my work laptop with Vista. Nowadays I still look at it from time to time in Virtualbox.

I probably would use it on my old P-III laptop, that my wife is using in her small restaurant to play music. I would prefer it over Lubuntu. After remembering that GUI, I might re-install 10.04.
    It was upgraded nicely up to Oneiric, and after that there was/is a little trouble. This is really fast, and now I am wondering why our "devs" keep on making new DEs and make everything slow.

Unity works with Gnome 3 and if not for Gnome 3, this EasyPeasy would be alive today.
    Yes, I have serious questions about the ideas of the devs, who produce slower DEs!

If I forget that there is a Precise built and further builds, Quantal and Raring, I can happily stay back with Oneiric, Natty or even Lucid. Who is going to tell me that I can't install the latest Chrome/Chromium or Firefox?

I think the devs are wasting time re-doing DEs/WMs, rather than making the well used DEs/WMs better! I think this "development" is all about money.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    I think the devs are wasting time re-doing DEs/WMs, rather than making the well used DEs/WMs better!
    I liked that desktop. In my taste it was the best desktop till 2011. I still would love to have it on my older PCs, but I would not replace Unity on the newer PCs.
    In Unity I love the single click launcher, the right click menus and the integration with websites. Slowly the top bar and the Dash become more useful and I see some future potential in the HUD, if combined with e.g. speech recognition.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans

I hope you can/do revive easypeasy, I love that whole concept. I still have 10.04 netbook remix on an Asus eeepc and it's the best.
    Last edited by robbie 348; November 17th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.

Beans

I'd be very happy to see a new release of easy-peasy.

Last i heard they were working on a gnome shell version. That was only a couple of months ago (IIRC).

What happened? I notice their site is completely messed up now too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hylas de Niall View Post
    I'd be very happy to see a new release of easy-peasy.

Last i heard they were working on a gnome shell version. That was only a couple of months ago (IIRC).

What happened? I notice their site is completely messed up now too.
    Well, its up to the original developer to release one, but if he won't I might do that, the only problem being finances.

I have so many remixes, though to share with you guys.

Good day!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    I have not yet seen any distro that fast!

There is little bit of work to on this modification, so I can't post a screenshot yet.

Would you guys like to have it living on?
    I'd love for someone to be interested in seeing EasyPeasy live on! I'll help out as much as I can

Best regards
    Jon Ramvi
    Creator of EasyPeasy
    Last edited by ramvi; November 28th, 2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added bio

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ramvi View Post
    I'd love for someone to be interested in seeing EasyPeasy live on! I'll help out as much as I can

Best regards
    Jon Ramvi
    Creator of EasyPeasy
    Hello Jon,

It is your creation, and you thought about it and the ideas grew in your mind. I am a guy, who tries out an idea and I thought it could be upgraded, without touching the EasyPeasy part, only the base, so I tried and brought safely to Oneiric. I like the EasyPeasy part as it is, whatever the base.

Jon, I downloaded the 2.0, but didn't like it--it was just Gnome 3-- as it didn't have the EasyPeasy part.

Anyway, EasyPeasy is yours and you should get the credit. Actually, it is the best GUI/DE I've seen up to now!

I tried to contact you, but couldn't and today I found a way in your website. Glad you responded. I'll write to you some time tomorrow.

Take care!

Ch
    Last edited by Chdslv; November 28th, 2012 at 01:20 PM.

Beans

I switched to Mint because it keeps developing a fork of a good old Gnome2. Can anybody tell me how to install the EasyPeasy launcher on Mint? I would be more than happy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frytek View Post
    I switched to Mint because it keeps developing a fork of a good old Gnome2. Can anybody tell me how to install the EasyPeasy launcher on Mint? I would be more than happy.
    Well, I am thinking about how to get that happen on Precise.

EasyPeasy is working very well with Oneiric base. But, it works also very well with Natty too. What i am wondering is why do I need these ever growing bases, when the distro works superbly as it is.

I simply can get Firefox 17 on the original EasyPeasy, and that's all I need to browse the web. i can install the newest LibreOffice too.

Just because Ubuntu says that the base is not supported anymore, doesn't mean the unique distro would stop working. i have the original EasyPeasy working superbly on one of my partitions!

Now, a question for you. You like the Gnome 2, so is there any reason to drop a very well working Gnome 2 distro, just because Ubuntu is producing new bases, such as Precise, Quantal or Raring?

Why not try to install the newest kernel on to a Gnome 2 distro?

Anyway, I hope Jon would bring in a new EasyPeasy with that unique Gui! I'm trying everything possible to help him out to do so.

Good day!

Ch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast